Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Springtech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2016
Monticello, IN
I currently have 2gb x 4 (8GB) in my quad core 2010 5.1. I bought 4gb x 4 and installed it and it only read 2gb per slot. I've check that it was seated correctly and try again still only reading 2gb per slot. I return this set thinking it's defective and the replacement memory is doing the same thing. Any ideas? How do I check for a problem with my machine? This kit is used Kingston memory.
  • 4 x 4.0GB PC10600 DDR3 Kit
  • Size: 4GB (4096MB)
  • 240-pin SDRAM DIMM
  • 512M x 72, Dual Rank ECC Memory Module
  • Data Rate = 1333MHz
  • Module Bandwidth 10.6GB/s

chriz_r

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
Reset PRAM by holding

cmd, option, P, R

during boot until you hear the boot chime twice and release. This should reset your system to see the new ram configuration.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I currently have 2gb x 4 (8GB) in my quad core 2010 5.1. I bought 4gb x 4 and installed it and it only read 2gb per slot. I've check that it was seated correctly and try again still only reading 2gb per slot. I return this set thinking it's defective and the replacement memory is doing the same thing. Any ideas? How do I check for a problem with my machine? This kit is used Kingston memory.
  • 4 x 4.0GB PC10600 DDR3 Kit
  • Size: 4GB (4096MB)
  • 240-pin SDRAM DIMM
  • 512M x 72, Dual Rank ECC Memory Module
  • Data Rate = 1333MHz
  • Module Bandwidth 10.6GB/s

I have been running 3 of these in my 5,1 sine I got it new in 2012. I don't remember having to reset the PRAM, I think it worked on first boot. OS X even said something like "Memory Installed Correctly" or something. It was a nice message. ; )

http://www.datamemorysystems.com/dm61-765/

Last edited:

Springtech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2016
Monticello, IN
Reset PRAM by holding

cmd, option, P, R

during boot until you hear the boot chime twice and release. This should reset your system to see the new ram configuration.
I did try the PRAM reset with no luck.
[doublepost=1480847709][/doublepost]PRAM reset didn't work work, I tried that first thing, I've also tried changing the order to see is something changed but nothing. I've put just one card in the first slot, still read 2gb, I repeated for each slot and it still read 2gb. Very frustrating

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I did try the PRAM reset with no luck.
[doublepost=1480847709][/doublepost]PRAM reset didn't work work, I tried that first thing, I've also tried changing the order to see is something changed but nothing. I've put just one card in the first slot, still read 2gb, I repeated for each slot and it still read 2gb. Very frustrating

Are you saying when you put a 4gb chip in it reads as 2gb?
If so, are you sure they are 4gb chips.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You can also try to run the Memory Slot Utility.
It is in your System folder, then Library, and look for "Memory Slot Utility"

Reactions: Springtech

Springtech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2016
Monticello, IN
No, I'm not sure. The first set only read 2gb and was supposed to be 4gb, I return that set and this is the second set doing the same. Is there a way to verify the chip?

chriz_r

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
Restart your Mac and hold option-D for apple diagnostics, and do a quick test.

chriz_r

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
The simplest answers and solutions to our questions are what we all usually ignore. Hope the seller gives the right one next time around!

Springtech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2016
Monticello, IN
The simplest answers and solutions to our questions are what we all usually ignore. Hope the seller gives the right one next time around!
So true, I Think I'll just get a refund and purchase some place else.
[doublepost=1480871785][/doublepost]
Any photos of the RAM stick? (mainly need to read the label)
See below and thanks I would have never thought to google the original manufacturer

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.