Upgrading the New Quad-Core Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CuriousMacster, Mar 29, 2009.

1. CuriousMacster macrumors newbie

I'm going to be buying a new 2.66 Quad-Core Mac Pro here soon but curious as to how much you're actually able to upgrade it, i.e. make and 8-Core down the road and other things like that. My needs don't require an 8-Core beast right now but they may in 2-3 years. What's everyones info and opinion on this?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't expect anyone else to build the dual CPU daughter card, so you will have to find them used or from a Apple parts supplier -- aka, likely could be done since people see the same part number on both logic boards.

But it would likely be cheaper to stretch and get the low end dual, and simply upgrade both CPUs later.

3. hobes270 macrumors regular

Your looking at alot of money to upgrade a single CPU to dual CPU. You have to upgrade the daughterboard along with getting the CPU you want to upgrade to. That will probably be a few thousand. Just go for the 8 core now.

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I suggest you buy the quad now... and then in a few years when you find it's holding you back, just buy the comparable system (or what suits your needs the best) at that time. You will find you probably spent about the same.

No sense buying more computer now than you need, hoping to grow into it. By the time you need that extra horsepower, something twice as good as even today's top of the line will be available for the same price.

5. CuriousMacster thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the option I was leaning more toward. I've started to do some heavy photo editing and some video editing but the video editing seems to be popping up more often.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The thing that also helps with going in such a route is Mac towers hold their value well.