Upgrading the News Paper office

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lewie109, Jun 28, 2007.

1. lewie109 macrumors member

lewie109

Hello everyone!
    I just recently helped upgrade the newspaper office from old emacs to brand new Intel iMacs. We have a old ImageWriter II and a Performa. I can't remember the model it is and it runs 8.6. We are looking to upgrade it. The problem is though we don't use the "modern" labels where there is 50 on one sheet. We use the old one row labels that have the holes in the sides that you have to roll in the printer. The thing that we use to put the labels on the paper with will only work with these old style labels. We could use one of the older emacs but we need a new printer that will support these labels. Preferably laser. We had some trouble with the computer the other day, kind of got worried and the apple monitor is starting to become rainbow colors. I think it is time for a upgrade.
    Any Ideas?

Thanks,
    Darrin & The Griswold American (the news paper office)

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Darren you're post is a bit sporadic and hard to follow but I think I got the jist of it. You just upgraded to Intel iMacs and now you want to upgrade a Performa? I don't get it. Anyway...

As for upgrading your Performa, seriously, don't waste your time the computer did its job in the past, but you are dealing with a true Apple dinosaur there. Look into a used G4 if budget is an issue. You can get something for maybe $150 and get an 'ok' machine.

As for the printer labels you can get whatever printer you want Inkjet or Laser and then just setup the margins in the software to print appropriately on them. It would help if you said what kind of labels exactly.

Your monitor has rainbows on it, gotcha, ditch it and get a Dell LCD or some other cheap LCD monitor. Probably go for 19" at least, and these monitors will not work on the Performa. You need a computer with VGA on it, and those Performas had that Apple proprietary hookup back then.

3. lewie109 thread starter macrumors member

lewie109

I want to replace both of the equipment. I will find out what kind of labels they are. Sorry about the post.