Upgrading the processor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chelseasian, Aug 23, 2007.

1. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

Hi!

i am planning to upgrade to a Mac Pro when Leopard is released and I am curious about how easy is it to upgrade the processor? I.e. I buy the standard configuration at the Apple store with a 2.66Ghz processor and at some point when I feel the need to speed things up a little- upgrade to a 4.5Ghz (when it comes) is it a complex task to accomplished?

i am asking because I am debating about buying a standard config now or should I really splurge for the highest speed possible?

i do a lot of creative work- video editing, motion graphics, Flash, website designs etc. and so I like something that will sustain me for at least 3 to 4 years. My trusty G5 2.0 has served me well since 2004 but now I am feeling a little slow when rendering videos compared to the Mac Pro I use in the office.

2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

fairly easy

however it will void warranty (many will still do the upgrade tho).

I seriously doubt there will be a chip 'better' than quad 3.0 that will fit in the socket (771?) of the Mac Pro.

My guess is the next release (November) will not be pin compatible (but I could be wrong too!) :)

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Penryn is compatible with the 5000X chipset.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xOF435jCg8E