Upgrading the processors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alphaod, Apr 25, 2010.

1. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just noticed the new Westmere processors are for sale, and they're not that expensive.

These are the ones I'm considering: http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47921 (Xeon X5660)

Any reason I shouldn't upgrade?

I did notice today how much faster my Mac Pro is compared to my laptop (about 5x faster in video encodings). So that's hours of time.

Would I benefit from this? I don't want a new Mac Pro (if they get updated) and if they did, I'm pretty sure it would cost like $7000 for the same configuration.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

While they haven't been tested it is unlikely they will work in a 2009 Mac Pro.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

What makes you think that?
    The new hex core processors cost exactly the same as their quad core brothers. Equal clock speed provided of course.

There is absolutely no indication that Apple will raise the prices that much.

4. strausd macrumors 68030

I agree completely. I have heard so many things saying that Apple will raise the prices dramatically with the new hexa-core machines but in reality, there is hardly any price difference between the processors.

5. alphaod thread starter macrumors Core

alphaod

Right now the 8-core 2.93GHz configuration is about $6500 with 12GB of RAM.

I expect the new 2.8GHz 12-core to be around that. Therefore estimate of $7000 is just that—an estimate.

Plus I'd have to figure out to how sell an older 8-core MP; I think it's much easier to just sell processors.

6. strausd macrumors 68030

That just shows how outdated and overpriced the MP is. I don't see why anyone would buy one of the current MPs, even if Apple wasn't rumored to update them soon.

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

They are outdated (for roughly 4 weeks now) and absolutely overpriced, no question, but do you have an appropriate alternative if you'd have to run OS X?

8. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Four weeks? I thought they were way more outdated than that?

9. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Well, if I recall the new hex core processors are available since roughly 4 weeks now and with no new hardware available, they can hardly be outdated, can't they?

That's at least my opinion about that. Of course 3rd party hardware like the graphics cards are old compared to the PC world, but the machine itself was up to date.

10. strausd macrumors 68030

I was talking about everything in the MP, including the GPU. But yet, the CPU is now outdated as well. I'm really hoping Apple won't raise the prices on the updated MP. There is no reason for them to, besides to make more of a profit.

11. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree. At best, the board would need a firmware update (new microcode), and at worst, the CPU's VR would need an adjustment, depending on the exact parts used (assuming Intel did do the ODM work, it's more likely to function without modification, but it's moot anyway).

It would be an absolute shock if Apple releases the firmware to '09 owners, as it would prevent the newer systems from selling.

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

True. However, Apple decided to scrap price differences with the 2009 Mac Pro when they put $1000 cheaper pairs of CPUs into their Mac Pros than were in the 2008 or 2006/7 Mac Pros.

They're obviously shifting their thoughts on who needs MP machines. At a guess, if one in four people decided not to buy 2009 Mac Pros due to the value hike compared to previous Mac Pros then Apple will still have made a similar profit off the three people left as they did before. Smaller production runs, same profit. There's nothing saying Apple won't push even further in this direction. A $1000 increase on a computer isn't such a big deal for a lot of professionals who don't have the time to consider switching to a PC. The enthusiast Apple power users are the ones who can't justify it that much anymore compared to PC workstation costs.