Upgrading the Quad 2.o Mac Pro to 8 core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by oceanzen, Oct 16, 2007.

1. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

My Uni, are very kindly buying me a Quad 2.0 mac pro (the current one, I can't tell them to wait for the upgrade)
    I will be doing pretty heavy Final Cut, Motion, Logic work on it, so I'm interested in upgrading to 8 cores. Doesn't have to be 3.0GHz as you pay a big premium for them.

But, would the 2.4GHZ Quad Core chips work?

Is this one a Clovertown?
    http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.asp...1022&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11022&InMerch=1
    Thanks for your help :)

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Those will not work.

You will have to look for Xeon processors with the X53x0 naming nomenclature, which are Quad-core socket 771 processors the Mac Pro uses.

3. oceanzen thread starter macrumors regular

oceanzen

4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

5. williedigital macrumors 6502

also

it's been shown that you can use overclock certain clovertown chips using a method called BSEL which basically involves sticking a small piece of tape on the cpu. I have two 1.6 ghz clovertowns (CHEAP) in my mac pro running at the 1333 fsb, and 2.0 ghz per core. do some googlin'

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

imho it's best to wait for new Mac Pro's then sell the old one and buy the new one rather than spend $1600 for the CPU's.

7. oceanzen thread starter macrumors regular

oceanzen

Thats an idea too, but I thought it may be cheaper to just upgrade the CPUs and then sell the 2 dual 2.0s
    Seeing that they're £900 (in UK) I suppose I might as well sell it and get the new one.

I wonder how much I'd get for a Quad 2.0 once the new, possibly all 8 core Mac Pros are finally out. 75%?

8. Tracer macrumors 6502

The Website you want is http://o0o.it/pro/ Then Mac Pro > Upgrade.

He documents how to take any Mac Pro up to 2.33GHZ 8-Core with cheaper 1066FSB Chips.

These can be had for a steal. Look at the Handbrake results, almost 400FPS!

Tracer