Upgrading the RAM in 2009 13 inch mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfreak, Sep 24, 2010.

1. sportsfreak macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have had my macbook pro for about a year and have decided to up the ram to 4GB finally after noticing that my computer is significantly slowing down.

Now I was wondering if I could get more information as two what ram i need and where I can purchase it for the best price- i am in canada btw.

I know that i need 204 pin DDR3 PC3-8500 set. Does it matter what specific brand I get. When I went onto the newegg.ca site they have a specific area for mac specific memory which confused me because I thought most RAM is generic as long as it fits the specifications of the computer.

In addition to the type of RAM the apple will take, I was also curious as to where the best place for me to purchase it from would be. I am in canada so I don't want to order from US sites and incur a large shipping fee.

So far I have come by newegg.ca and canada computers. Any thoughts/ suggestions of these two places or any other additional places I can go to.

Thanks for the help

2. sportsfreak thread starter macrumors member

3. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

The most well known brand are Crucial and Kingston. Avoid noname memory. To find what type fits your mac, there are websites where you enter the serial number and get all the info about the machine (like the one below)

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/

4. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Just curious, I've read several posts where people say when it comes to RAM brand name doesn't matter.

Why do you say it does? Not trying to be rude - just looking to educate myself

5. drambuie macrumors 6502a

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

This is wrong. Quality matters for memory, not brands. Bad quality memory generate errors, freezes and issues you will struggle to identify.

Some people say noname memory are ok, and they are most of the time are. But problem is it's not all black or all white. They can work perfectly when you install them but generate random errors.

We talk here maybe about 0,01% of the cases, but well known brands run extensive tests and sometimes even offer life guaranty.

7. sportsfreak thread starter macrumors member

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Upgrade it to 8GB, not 4GB. You can get 8GB of NewerTech RAM from OWC (www.macsales.com) for $167.