Upgrading the ram

Biggerplay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
This might be a bit of a dumb question, but I'm getting a new (2018) Mac Mini soon, with 8gb ram. At some point I want to upgrade the ram, but I was wondering can you do that after you have been using the computer for a while? Or you have to do it before you turn the thing on for the first time?

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
White Mntns, Arizona
This might be a bit of a dumb question, but I'm getting a new (2018) Mac Mini soon, with 8gb ram. At some point I want to upgrade the ram, but I was wondering can you do that after you have been using the computer for a while? Or you have to do it before you turn the thing on for the first time?
You can upgrade the RAM at any time, regardless of whether you have used it before or not. Just make sure everything is turned off and unplugged, and that you are grounded by touching something metallic other than the computer itself so you don't damage the system with a spark. Being a beginner you might also want to look into wearing an electrostatic discharge wrist strap. Also, I think it would be very beneficial to watch an iFixIt or YouTube video on the RAM upgraded teardown process. It is not as easy on the 2018 Mac Minis as it used to be in previous versions and other systems that can have the RAM upgraded.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Based on your question, I’m a little nervous at the thought of you changing out the RAM! It sounds to me like this is in the realm of something you’ve never attempted before.

To be fair, though, if you’re even slightly handy and inclined, you’ll be fine. Just take it slow.

Reactions: Biggerplay

Bartjes

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
Paris France
Most people here didn't experience real problems changing Mac Mini's RAM. Some did though. I did but eventually everything was OK. You must study the available videos, buy the wright tools and if you're a nervous person (like me), do some mindfulness meditation before or during the operation.

Reactions: Biggerplay

Spectrum

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
As others have said. Watch the video a few times. Read the comments on iFixit, and look carefully at the photos. Have another computer handy so you have a guide to look at for each stage.
Use magnetic tipped drivers, and store each set of screws in order so that reassembly is easy.

The hardest parts I found were.
1. Removing and reattaching WiFi cable. Cable is very short, and not much space to access.
2. Unscrewing logic board - very stiff/tight screws.
3. Disconnecting power cable and LED light. The former needs considerable force, and the latter is tricky and looks delicate. Read guide carefully.
4. Pushing out the logic board needs quite a bit of force on the heat sink edges. You have to push hard and then it suddenly unclips and moves. At first I thought I'd broken something...
5. RAM was ok, But a bit fiddly with the rubber bumpers. Make sure you press it down into the slot fully. Read guide.

Having said all that, it was well worth it, and I love having acres of RAM. Doubt I'll ever use all 32GB in the near future, but 8GB was too tight for me and I was having a lot of swaps caused by the iGPU and apps fighting for space. 16 GB prob sweet spot for >90% of users. But once cracking it open, it made sense to plump for 2x16.

Last edited: