Upgrading Tiger to Snow Leopard without losing data

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dennismarquez, Aug 29, 2009.

1. dennismarquez macrumors newbie

dennismarquez

Hello!

Is there anybody that has gone from Tiger to Snow Leopard and did this as an upgrade? Did all your music and pictures remain on your HD? Is it even possible to do it this way?

When I put my snow leopard disc in my computer, it has 1 option which says: Install Mac OSX and if I press that it says, press continue to restart your computer and installation will begin (or something like that). It's not clear to me if it's gonna erase my harddrive or not.

Anybody any advice or experience?

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Regardless of what method you use, you need to back up everything important first. In fact, even if you weren't planning on upgrading, you need a backup. Do that FIRST, then upgrade with confidence.

3. dennismarquez thread starter macrumors newbie

dennismarquez

I fully understand this but it's still not an answer to my question. Is it possible to do an upgrade from tiger to snow leopard, instead of a clean install?
    Has anyone tried this?

4. Maccleduff macrumors regular

I would backup, and do a clean install to be safe, as you would be moving up two OSX releases otherwise.

5. dennismarquez thread starter macrumors newbie

dennismarquez

I understand this, but I would just like to know...

6. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I think the point people are trying to make here is whether or not you upgrade or clean install, you should have a backup.

Do I know that all your settings will remain intact going from Tiger to SL? No, I doubt it though.

7. dingamahoo macrumors member

I'm interested in this questions too. I'm a longtime and diehard mac user, but I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the more technical side of things.

I'm going to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard (otherwise, i was just going to wait to get a new laptop next year). I'd like to preserve as many of my settings and applications as possible. I will back stuff up, but am curious if anyone has experience doing a migration to snow leopard or whether it's better to do a clean install?

(For instance, what happens to programs I use all the time like Sidetrack and Call Recorder for Skype if I migrate?)

8. 15inchbrick macrumors member

Take the plunge

Backup and go for it.

I have read people on other forums are having success. What's the worst that can happen, you take an extra hour and restore from backup :p

9. dennismarquez thread starter macrumors newbie

dennismarquez

Can you link me to those forums please, because somehow, no matter how hard I look it seems like nobody has Tiger anymore, and nobody has tried it. Please let me know!

10. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

I upgraded my girlfriend's Macbook from Tiger to Snow Leopard last night without any problem whatsoever. Although we should have been safe and backed up all of her data first, we didn't actually do this. Nevertheless, Snow Leopard installed just fine in a little under an hour for the whole process. When it loaded up, all of her photos, music, documents, settings, etc. were there just as before.

I would echo the others that it probably couldn't hurt to backup first just in case anything goes wrong, but I can say that it upgraded flawlessly for us.

11. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

I tried upgrading from Tiger to SL and it didn't work. I get an error message saying "The contents of this disk can't be changed."

Now my computer doesn't work and when I called Apple, they told me I needed to buy the box set (after being reassured by a worker when I went in Friday morning to buy SL). They said they didn't know what they could do with my computer.