Upgrading Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rebelduck, Oct 2, 2014.

1. rebelduck macrumors newbie

I want to sell my 4th gen Time Capsule and get a 5th gen one to take advantage of the 802.11ac with my new iPhones and iMac.

I'm not sure how to go about it. Do I buy the new one first and then transfer the data from the old one onto the new one? (how do I do that?)

How do I securely 100% wipe the data on the old one?

What's the best venue to unload the old one once it's wiped? Ebay? As far as I can tell Gazelle etc., don't buy :apple: AirPorts or Time Capsules.

It's a 5th gen and it's in flawless condition, never had any issues or anything, still have the original box and peripherals with it so it shouldn't be too hard to unload right?

Thanks for the advice.

2. inboxer macrumors regular

You can try Gazelle, BuyBackWorld, or eBay or Craigslist to sell your time capsule.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Normally one would just start a new backup on the new TC, but if you really really want to keep using that old backup set you can use the "Archive" function in Airport Util to move the sparse bundle file to a USB disk attached to the old TC.

Then when you get the new TC and set it up you can move the old sparse bundle to the new TC disk and hopefully carry on.

Moving this data to the new TC is going to be really slow.

To erase the TC disk just click Erase Disk then in the drop down pick a secure erase option. The first "zero out" option would normally be sufficient.

I think eBay or maybe Craigslist is your best option to sell the old one.

[​IMG]

4. rebelduck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the advice! The sparse bundle sounds like more hassle than it's worth, So i'lll probably just start with a clean slate. Thanks for explaining it though, good to know.

I've got a 1TB iMac (not nearly full yet since I just got it) and a 750GB macbook pro (which also only has about 200GB of junk on it) Sticking with the 2TB TC model should be more than sufficient even if I eventually fill up both right?

----------

Thanks. Gazelle doesn't seem to do Airports or Time Capsules. BuyBackWorld is offering $51 which seems a tad low?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure... that will work fine. As the disks get more fill though, you will just have a little less space left on the TC for older file versions. So for example if you did a lot of work with 5GB videos and versions of those were getting backed up hourly, you would not have many versions back. But with just more normal sized files you would still have a good version history.

6. SirYossi macrumors regular

Use it as a Network Drive

Keep it and use it as a network drive. I have my 3rd gen connected into my 4th gen via hardwire and use it as a net drive for extra storage and for transferring files from one device to another. I just shut off the wifi part of it and use the newer time capsule to access it via wifi. I can also access if from the road via the primary time capsule. It works wonderfully for that.