Upgrading to 10.6.2 Clean Install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by archangel890, Nov 26, 2009.

1. archangel890 macrumors newbie

Just want some tips on the best way to go about doing a clean install of 10.6.2. If I have 1TB External running Time Machine every hour etc is that a good back up for when I want to transfer stuff back onto the new OS once upgraded? And if I want to do that how about do I do that? Or should I back up the stuff manually first and transfer it back? I need a little help and I don't want to mess it up and lose any of my current Apps etc I have already.

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

ok, so put in the sl cd, hold down option when booting up and select the cd. next click ur language, whatever ur time whatever it asks u, then once u see the things loaded at the menubar, click on utilities, click on disk utility, the go to ur hard drive, not macintosh hd, ur hard drive like the whole thing. then go under the partition tab. where it says current in the dropdown, click on 1 partition. next name ur partition Macintosh HD, then format it as mac os x extended (journaled). now click partition, after its done should take about 2 minutes or less, exit out of disk utility, then u will be back at the installation screen, continue with the installation onto Macintosh HD. then itll reboot once or twice, and then ull have a clean install of snow leopard, just plug in ur time machine backup go back to the hour b4 u installed sl, and pull them off and put them on, although i dont recommend doing a clean install, cuz then u have to set everything up again like what u put in the menubar, what u customized, blah blah blah. oh and some stuff that u pull off from ur backup mite say it needs to be redownloaded. which is a pain. lol anyway good luck!

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

^^ Backup files first tho.... it may seem obvious, but ive seen many people not do and then complain when they have lost all their files.