Upgrading to 2.0 when away from imac?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cfs, Jun 17, 2008.

1. cfs macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I will be away from my imac for about one month. During this time I will have my touch on me. If I use someone elses mac, will it be possible to upgrade? If not, can I go to an Apple Store and have them do it? What are my options?

-cfs

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if you use a friends mac make sure you login to itunes with your own account and when you get home it should be fine if you incur a problem whilst away from your mac (in theory)

3. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i'm not sure if it will work because doesn't it save the update to the computer your on like the JSU? it would work while on your friends mac but when you got back home it wouldn't be there but you could always take that update with you on a flash drive or memory stick or something along those lines.

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

as long as he signs in using his own iTunes account it should be straight forward as it would be no different to if he had to re-install OSX and forgot to backup the update. the purchase will be tied in to his own itunes account, if he faces problems when he gets back he could ring apple and go oi I had to re-installOSX and my update has gone help

5. sargent bannana macrumors member

how long is the july 11th software 2.0 is going to be on the itunes store because i myself will be away from my pc and i want to upgrade but if they pull it off quickly then im going to be really sad

6. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just thought of something. If the update is in the i-tunes store, then won't it be downloadable via Touch wi-fi?

-cfs

7. ougum macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

If it is downloadable via touch WiFi store, you'd need 2.0 to access the store. Right?

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, because OTA updates aren't supported in the current firmware.

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

the update wont be a limited time download it will constantly be up there and updated when a new firmware release is issued

why would it be available to download via touch? non of the other firmwares have been able to download to the ipod why would this be different? Just for clarification the update is on the apple server and not part of the actual store as you have to click on the touch in the side meny then click update

10. cfs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because I am new to the Touch world and will ask many more questions I can't find through a google search:). As a matter of fact, I still own a first generation ipod and it is going strong.

-cfs