Upgrading to 2.2 on 2g

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by UmaThurman, Nov 25, 2008.

1. UmaThurman macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Hello everyone, please please do not get mad at me for such a newb question... hehe. I got my iphone 2g last week, and i sucessfully upgraded and unlocked/jailbroke it from 1.4 to 2.1 with pwnage (i followed the instructions, blah blah). I see on itunes that they released a 2.2 update, and i've been doing searches and trying to find instructions on how to upgrade my 2.1 to 2.2. The only thing I have found are vague instructions on the dev team site.

So, all I need to do is upgrade it to 2.2 through itunes and then download the new quickpwn to unlock/jailbreak it again? SHould i just leave it at 2.1? I don't use cydia or the other apps, i just use it as a normal phone and stuff since i don't know what all that other stuff is.

sorry for such newbie questions. thanks for any help!

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Go here. There are detailed instructions and all the necessary downloads.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You are exactly correct with what you need to do. Upgrade to 2.2 in itunes then run quickpwn and you're all set. I would update to 2.2 because you get a few new features, and a new upgraded baseband which improves call stability etc. Why not upgrade? :D

4. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

5. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

May I ask one more thing? What is the difference between running Quickpwn or Pwnage on this? Also, more importantly, do i need to downgrade to 1.1.4 before doing this? Or do i just either use Pwnage or Quickpwn from the 2.1 i have?

6. UmaThurman thread starter macrumors regular

UmaThurman

Thank you! haha, and thanks for your help too!

7. Luvinia Krista macrumors newbie

i made a bad choice in upgrading my Ipod touch 2g to v2.2 and i need it back down to v2.1.1 can you please help?

8. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

FYI the 2g's did not get a baseband update with 2.2 They have not recieved this sort of update for a while now.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you go on the internet and download the 2.1.1 firmware from there when you plug your iphone into itunes hold option+ click restore and then point to the 2.1.1 that you downloaded and you should be able to restore to the lower version. You might need to put your ipod into DFU mode first click here and follow the instruction before you do the restore. :D good luck, pm if you have any further questions.