Upgrading to "2-3 day shipping" - worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neven, Aug 6, 2007.

1. neven macrumors 6502a

I'm usually not in a hurry to get Apple products from their online store, so I've always used the "5 business day" shipping. However, now I'm considering upgrading to the "2-3 business day" shipping.

For a computer, it would cost $33, which doesn't sound unreasonable to me. However, I'm wondering if anyone has used it and seen a real increase in delivery time?

As an example, I've ordered things with 5-day shipping and received them in 3 days. I've also received them in 7 days. So I guess I'm wondering, if I use 2-3 days shipping, how likely am I to get it faster?

I know delivery time isn't guaranteed, so I'm wondering if anyone here has noticed a trend (if they've used both options numerous times).

Thanks!

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

If you want it 2-3 from the time of shipping then yes

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It depends on how fast you NEED it. I never pay for faster shipping as chances are I will not be there to receive it anyway.

4. neven thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm just wondering if 2-3 day shipping really delivers on its promise.

USPS's Priority Mail, for instance, has been shown to not be significantly faster than first-class mail (in many cases) and it's not guaranteed either, so I wouldn't really use that.

5. moez macrumors regular

In my experience, I have gotten the products I ordered (macbook, dvi adapter, ipod etc) within 3-4 days anyways so I dont think it is worth it. FedEx is generally quite fast and efficient. they usually have the product delivered a day or two before the expected date anyways :)

6. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

If you do BTO then DON'T do express shipping. The units ship from the factory (in Taiwan or wherever) and come via air no matter what shipping it is. If you do express shipping your just wasting money. This is only for BTO units though.

7. neven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I suspected as much.

8. ThunderLounge macrumors 6502

ThunderLounge

I did use the overnight option a couple months back.

But when half the keys on your keyboard go out, that's a little different.

9. neven thread starter macrumors 6502a

They're not offering overnight right now, otherwise I'd pay for it...

10. ThunderLounge macrumors 6502

ThunderLounge

Strange...

Granted mine was for a keyboard, on a Friday afternoon, but it was here Monday morning. Although copying and pasting certain things (like a space) was interesting. I remapped my keyboard so another key could take its place, but cmd+v was still quicker.

11. Chris27 macrumors newbie

or you can just call apple after you order and they can upgrade your shipping for free :)

12. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Same. For stock products, they seem to ship a lot of them from somewhere in Pennsylvania to me in DC. As a result, they often get here within a day or two.

So, it all depends on where you are and what you're ordering. Personally, I'd just be patient, unless you really need it.