Upgrading to 2011 MBP 15" - Moving my SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acunit86, Feb 24, 2011.

1. acunit86 macrumors member

I currently have a base 2010 15" MBP, but would really benefit from the new HD6750 and quad core i7 for my work. My current 15" has an Agility 2 240gb SSD in it with 160gb for OSX and the rest allocated to bootcamp.

I know I can use migration assistant, and then reimage the bootcamp partition with winclone, but is there a problem with just taking the SSD out of the old, and putting it right into the new? I imagine gfxcardstatus might freak about the new graphics, and i'll have to reactivate windows either way, but is there any other problem with just swapping drives? It would save me a bit of time...:cool:

2. k43l macrumors member

an old OS X installation won't work with the new sandy bridge CPUs, you'll have to reinstall OS X

3. wrajr macrumors newbie

On a related topic, will migration assistant transfer apps such as CS5 and FCP from a later model 2010 gen MBP to a new 2011?

4. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I too am interested in this. I am considering getting the new 13 and would like to transfer my owc Ssd from my current 2010 13 to the new one.

Assuming that the SSd would fit, what is the best method of doing this?

5. acunit86 thread starter macrumors member

I'm guess I'll just use my Time Machine backup from yesterday when setting up the new one. Then run bootcamp, and use winclone to reimage the bootcamp partition. Not a big deal. Excited for quad core, but scared of the lap burning. Hopefully smcfancontrol still works, and gfxcardstatus gets an update quickly.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I used the Migration Assistant on a couple of occasions before and it completely recreated the old machine's environment on the new machine. What a nice time saver that was.

7. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I thought you can just put the drive in the new computer and the correct drivers would load automatically.

8. axu539 macrumors 6502a

Normally that's fine, but since these are new processors, Apple is using a new build of OS X. Your drive has to have the same OS X build for drive swapping to work.