Upgrading to 2016 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sugik, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Sugik, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017

Sugik macrumors newbie

I bought the 2015 Macbook (NOT MBP) when it first came out and I am looking to upgrade to the new Macbook Pro. Should i wait for the refresh at the end of the year or it does not make much difference?

2. leman macrumors 604

An upgrade will bring a slightly faster CPU and GPU (more significant upgrade for the 13" model), maybe a slightly bigger battery as well as fixes to various manufacturing processes and a likely price decrease. If your 2014 model is going strong, there is not much reason to upgrade right now (says the guys who went from the 2015 MBP to a 2016 one ;) )

3. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

I wouldn't upgrade if I was in your shoes right now. There's been so little change the upgrade options for my 2011 machine have mostly been second hand machines roughly the same age as your current machine.

The only real reason why I'd see someone wanting to upgrade from a model that recent is graphics. The 15" model stopped the integrated GPU entirely and now offers two pretty decent dedicated GPUs and the 13" model has also seen a rather major jump forwards in graphics performance.

4. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

So I came from the MacBook (I'm assuming you mean the MacBook) to the 2016 MacBook Pro and it will be a massive performance increase for you. I would suggest waiting if you can, though, since the MacBook Pro is mid-cycle.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Agree with Joe above.

Unless you have money to burn, the 2014 MBPro is still "not that far back" enough to force an upgrade right now, IMO.

I'd suggest you wait until the late-2017 revision and see what that looks like.

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Why do you want to upgrade, and what will you use it for?

7. Sugik thread starter macrumors newbie

Currently I'm using 2015 MacBook not the MacBook Pro. I'm planning to use it for browsing, netflix, emails, microsoft office, the regular stuff and maybe a little bit of gaming.

8. Sanpete macrumors 68020

For your uses it probably won't matter much whether you buy now or later. The only potential power use you mention is gaming. I suppose you're looking at a new 13", and it's hard to say if the next one will be much better for gaming than the present one. The version with touch bar may get a larger battery, if that's the model you're considering.