Upgrading to 3G question - will apps migrate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by network23, Dec 20, 2008.

1. network23 macrumors 6502

network23

I'm thinking about upgrading my Edge iPhone to a 3G. The question is, what happens to my purchased apps that are currently on my EDGE iPhone? Will I have to purchase them all again?

Will they somehow be transferred to the 3G?

I was planning on giving the EDGE to my wife. Would the EDGE then be wiped clean and there would be no apps on it at all? What about the free apps?

2. cobaltchroma macrumors regular

cobaltchroma

they should be backed up onto iTunes under the Applications tab under Sources,
    if not, then just back them up and re sync

3. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

The apps belong to your iTunes account, not your phone. So yes, you can sync all the apps you have purchased on your iTunes account to your new phone. An app can be put onto 5 devices. So even if your wife has her own iTunes account, she can still use your apps. All you have to do is sign into your iTunes on her computer and authorize it (Store > Authorize Computer), download the apps again for free (it will tell you that you already purchased it), then switch back to her iTunes account and sync the phone.

4. network23 thread starter macrumors 6502

network23

Sweet! I had forgotten about the sharing with up to 5 devices was the same as it is with your iTunes library!

Thanks for the quick reply!

5. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I just did this a couple of days ago. When I synced my 3G to iTunes I restored it to the previous backup of my Edge iPhone. Everything worked fine. The configuration/settings, even state my games were in on my old phone, text messages all transferred over. The only thing I had to do was reenter the password for my email accounts, voicemail and the pin lock for the phone itself.

And of course I am still able to use the Edge iPhone with my apps too :D

6. network23 thread starter macrumors 6502

network23

Well, I did this, but something got screwed up.

All the apps are still on my 3G (and my wife's EDGE), but apparently the apps think they belong to my wife, not me. Until recently, it seemed that the App Store would say I had 34 or so apps that needed updating. When I updated 1, the next time I looked, it would say they were all up to date.:confused:

Plus, every time I updated one on my 3G, it warns me before I download it: "The discounted price is only available to customers who own a previous version of this item. To purchase this item at full price, click Buy."

Until now, I have tread cautiously and only updated free apps, but what's gonna happen when I upload one I bought? Why is my 3G thinking I'm not the owner?

Any ideas? Any solutions?