Upgrading to 3G right now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shyfe, May 24, 2009.

1. Shyfe macrumors member

So I went to the ATT store today and was going to buy a new iPhone. However, they told me if a new one were to be released after I bought it, I would have to wait 1.5 years in order to upgrade. My entire plan was to buy one now and sell it when the new one came out. Was the guy just making stuff up?

2. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Well yea, I think he's right on "upgrading" but I think you can still do what you want to do. The only difference is you would have to pay full price for the new phone. Probably anywhere between $599 to $699.

3. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Generally, he is correct. But AT&T will allow you to go from an iPhone to and iPhone in about a year. I got my iPhone 3G last July and when I do the trick of dialing *NEW# I get a message that I can upgrade to an iPhone with a new 2yr commitment.

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

cool it said i can uprade 2-19-2010:p

5. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

I get the same text message, but did the message indicate the full $299 upgrade or the second-tier $499 upgrade?

On the AT&T site, my upgrade status is:

As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 12/12/2009