Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

=====

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
How do I go about transfering all my stuff from my 3g to my 3gs and setting up iTunes for her on my old 3g.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
How do I go about transfering all my stuff from my 3g to my 3gs and setting up iTunes for her on my old 3g.

I dont think you'll be able to. You have 2.21 and the 3GS will have 3.0....

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

When you get the 3Gs, restore it from the backup of your 3G. This is assuming that you will have upgraded your 3G to iPhone OS 3.0. Then just restore the 3G but do not load it from the backup. In theory this should work because even when you restore from backup iTunes installs a fresh copy of the OS.

=====

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
yea, I'm going to put 3.0 on the 3g. I just don't want my old 3g that I give to her to sync to my account.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I think it is a bad idea to restore a backup of the 3G phone to the 3GS phone. It is different hardware and likely has different config files etc. I mean, since 3.0 has notes that can sync (which I really need) the only thing you will lose are your previous text messages and some prefs. Anyway, that is my .02

=====

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2009
basicly I want to know how to keep are accounts seperate when we plug in our phones into iTunes.

JustinP81

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Celebration, FL
basicly I want to know how to keep are accounts seperate when we plug in our phones into iTunes.

Well, in theory, it should work like the iPod does, and it knows which one is plugged in at any time.

I think the problem you run into is if you both are syncing the Contact List and the Apps from iTunes. One phone is going to have to not sync that stuff with the computer, unless you both want nearly identical phones.

Rat-Boy

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2008
Georgia
My question is for one iTunes account.

We have two 3Gs that share it and I am about to upgrade my son's line to a 3GS, then me and him are swapping phones.

How do I ensure that my Checkbook register info for my Checkbook app goes to the new phone?

Does iTunes keep application data stored separately by phone, or is it by the app?

And I know that iTunes knows which iPhone is which, but does it do that by phone name we set or the serial numbers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.