Upgrading to 3GS from Original iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xxjonoxx, Jun 9, 2009.

1. xxjonoxx macrumors regular

xxjonoxx

Hi, I tried using the forum search to find an answer to this, to no avail.

I purchased the original iPhone in December 2007 and still have it active. I would like to purchase a 3GS for $199.. is this possible, or will I have to pay full price? I am on AT&T in the U.S.

Thank you

2. ryvetted macrumors member

They usually let you slide after 18 months. Go to att.com/wireless and login to your account and it will say whether or not you are eligible to upgrade.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Should be no problem. The original iPhone was unsubsidized so you can get the upgrade pricing anytime.

Go here to find out specific pricing for your account.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=NjcxMTQ5Mw

4. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

I just hope that there is some smart AT&T employee that will email one of his executives: "There are potentially millions of 3G owners that would be willing to spend $199 for a 3GS and extend the contract for another 2 years. We shouldn't be dumb and subsizidize the 3GS for existing AT&T customers so they don't ditch us next year when a new iPhone comes out and Apple decides to pair with Verizon or other carriers. Let's waive this $400 upgrading fee so we can put millions more into a 2 year contract and keep us in better business"

I just think it's ridiculous, but I don't care in the end because it gives me a perfect excuse to wait till next year when an even better iPhone comes out and I'll have saved a lot of money.

5. xxjonoxx thread starter macrumors regular

xxjonoxx

When I try the upgrade feature on https://www.wireless.att.com/ it only shows me being able to upgrade to the 3G 8GB or 16GB for $99 or $149.

I currently have a discount through my employer and it uses the Premier Store.

Any other options?