Upgrading to 3GS Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krafty, May 13, 2010.

1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Well, I've had my 2G for a numerous of years ant put up with the problems it persisted for the entire time (the biggest being low ram, like 5-7MB with just phone & iPod running). So today I decided to check out my account since I was eligible for an upgrade for like a year.

I can get the 3GS Refurb @ $150. I'm going to be buying it with my own money, which I have to do now cause over the summer I'm going to be in NY and since its under my moms name shes going to have to be present. Since it's unlocked, were paying for 2 base plans w/ unlimited texting, so thats about $93/m.

Question is, if I upgrade, would I have to change the plan again or do I just have to add data? Cause all I do is text so I rarely use any of my minutes. The data is showing $27 but I have no idea how to just navigate to the iPhone plans, it just took me to the shopping cart and told me altogether would be about $117.

If it adds too much more per month then I'm just going to stick with the 2G until the 3GS prices on craigslist eventually fall. I wont need to unlock and then I suppose we can do the Spirit jailbreak mc-jigger.

Attached Files:

2. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Many questions arise from your post, but mainly, I wouldn't upgrade right now, since the new iPhone is most likely coming out within weeks, and this will likely drop the 3GS's price down to 3G levels (99 bucks? Walmart has already done this.)

Secondly, what do you mean "Since it's unlocked" ? What is unlocked?

Also, there was a data increase from the 2G to 3G (10 dollars more).

4. tesilential macrumors regular

I was gonna get myself a GS for my birthday on 5/5.

Don't use your upgrade on a 3GS, a new iphone is widely expected to debut 6/7 or soon after.

In addition you can get a Brand New 3GS 16 gb for $97 at Walmart right now.

The price on the 3GS should drop somewhat when the new one launches, and at the very least availability should increase drastically.

5. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

It is $99 bucks now, thats why I provided the screenshot. As you may not have noticed, my question went unanswered for about 2 weeks (its okay, frequently happens).

And my current 2G is unlocked.

And I was asking if I could keep the plan I'm on without having to switch to an iPhone plan. All it asked for was data add-on, and texting options.

And we can cancel the data after a month, right?

6. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

That would be dumb because the price would drop even more when the new one comes out in like 2 weeks..

7. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

But I'd rather not shell out $700 for it, all I need is more speed and RAM, since my 2G is constantly freezing and restarting (usually freezes when someone calls and I slide to answer). The iPod app drops the RAM to 5MB, even after restoring, re-JB, and all that jazz.

And for WM, is that with or without a plan?
    Down to what?

8. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

$700? what gave you that idea
    If you are eligible for an upgrade, the lowest price is at $199 for the past 2 years

9. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Just bare with me, I'd rather just get the 3GS, I'll be happy with paying for that since it meets what I need. I don't need to spend $200, I have nothing against people who do, I just want to upgrade to that 3GS for $99, but making sure I dont jump onto another plan without knowing.

Thats all.

10. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Well i guess you should know by now that the data plan will be $30 a month, blah blah and what not

Just saying you are better off with the new upcoming iPhone but whatever floats your boat :rolleyes:

11. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Is the new iPhone going to be $99 as well?

If not, that answers your question.

And I know that but, thanks for still overlooking my question on it.

12. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Not sure why you unlocked your phone if you weren't planning on switching away from AT&T.

If you get the a 3GS you'll also have to get the $30 data plan. And no, you can not cancel the data plan after a month. If you use the 3GS on AT&T you must have the data plan.

The rest of your plan should stay the same.

13. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

FINALLY.

And the 2G was unlocked because I was already on a plan. I share one with base minutes and unlimited texting. When I first got it, it said I had to register and blah blah blah so I couldn't use it with my plan until it was unlocked.

14. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Just like the guy above me, you can NOT cancel the data plan, and if you did, AT&T would check the IMEI Number and apply the data plan if its not already applied

And unless you are traveling to other countries, there is no need for an unlock
    No the next iPhone will not be priced at $99

edit: i guess he answered your question :D
    Anything else you curious about?

15. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Besides how much my bill will increase by, no, don't think so at the moment.

I know I don't need to unlock if I get this (cause I bought the 2G via craigslist), just JB which I've read up on (and will again if I missed something).

16. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

You should consider selling your 2G on eBay. Even now you can still get a couple hundred for it JB and unlocked. It could help with the increase in data plan or give you enough to purchase a 4G at $199.

17. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Around 50 bucks for a refurb.

18. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I'm gonna sell it... just.. not on eBay (bad experiences).

Hm. Yeah, I guess I could hold off until then.

19. aneftp macrumors 68040

AT&T will auto add the $30 iPhone plan regardless if you try to delete it and claim you are using a dumb phone.

My cousins had a data block and they auto added the data plan to her iPhone.

AT&T audits wil hit you sooner rather than later if it detects a 3g or 3gs model the minute you put your sim in.

It happened to me 2 months ago along with my brother

20. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Right now I'm in the safe zone with my 2G, which is why I figured I might as well suck it up and get the data (I am around wireless about 70% of the time, but since I can barely use an apps on my phone I don't need it).

21. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I've been using a 3GS for a year and I haven't had AT&T add the data plan to my account. But anyway, OP, I would suggest waiting until 6/7 to see what Apple has to offer us. It doesn't hurt because you could make an informed decision after you see all possibilities. The refurb will still be there anyway.

22. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

23. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Thank you everyone, I asked the lady about the $99 price and she said it had to be a glitch, but I didnt cause a fuss and upgraded from the 2G (sold for $200) to the 3GS for $169!

This should last me a good few years, thank you everyone.