Upgrading to 4.0...A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by veo321, Apr 10, 2010.

1. veo321 macrumors regular

veo321

I'm a iPhone Developer who is developing apps for the iPhone 3G/3G S⃣ . My Developer account expired and I decided to start fresh as a business. I would like to install iPhone OS 4 so I can test it and so on, but I am curious what will happen, here is what I planned to do...

1) First, Use Little Snitch to block all internet connections to iTunes
    2) Restore with iPhone OS 4
    3) Stick my sim card in and plug it into iTunes
    4) Wait for activation...(not sure about this particular part)
    5) Use Test phone for well testing

I was curious if this would work, I am running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

EDIT: No, I don't intend on waiting a month for verification.

2. jtara macrumors 65816

Not sure what you are getting at. Where are you going to get 4.0? From some file-sharing site? If so, you're breaking your developer agreement right there, and you have NO idea what you are actually getting.

Am I missing something?

Yes, unfortunately, a business agreement takes Apple some time to process, typically a month or more.

3. veo321 thread starter macrumors regular

veo321

Well

Where I get my iPhone OS 4 is not for you to be concerned about :p, I just would like my question answered please

4. jtara macrumors 65816

Sorry, but unless you're the owner of MacRumors, you don't get to control what others say on your post. And, anyway, my comment was more for the benefit of others, who might not realize that this is breaking their developer agreement or appreciate the potential repercussions. Go ahead, if you want to be banned for life from developing iPhone apps.

It's also important to know this in order to answer your question. Still not quite sure exactly what the question is. By "work" what do you mean? Will it install successfully on the phone? Will you get caught? Something else? What you think you are accomplishing by blocking connections to iTunes during the restore? Not sure what you mean by "restore"? You mean "update to 4.0? Restore from a backup archive from some file-sharing site? Nobody can answer your question if they don't know just what you are "restoring".

And I shouldn't have to point out the foolishness of admitting in public and on record that you're violating the developer agreement, but hoards seem eager to do so every time a major new release comes along...

5. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

PS; it takes about an hour to become an official iPhone developer.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

well I reported the thread

pretty sure the subject as it's posted in against Macrumors rules. I doubt anybody wants to help any way!

7. jtara macrumors 65816

Yes, for a personal agreement.

If you register as a business, it takes quite a bit longer, because they need to verify that the business entity exists and corresponds to the information given.

The OP stated that he intends to re-register as a business.

I did this, though I overlapped the agreements rather than let my personal agreement lapse. I can sympathize with the OP. It is a pain in the butt. But a lot less of a pain in the butt if you do this before you're actually released any apps.

8. veo321 thread starter macrumors regular

veo321

Well

If it makes you happy fine, I wont download it and wait a month to have access to 4.0, my thought is that if this is in the iPhone Hacks section people who are posting usually break apples terms and conditions to some degree. I was curious if I would end up like the other man who has a bricked iPhone, just curious if it was possible to not get bricked with my method.

I'm surprised some random demi-god or moderator hasn't come along and removed it

9. AppleHack23 macrumors member

I was going to...:(

10. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything here against the rules. We don't moderate EULAs.

Demi-gods are not moderators.

11. veo321 thread starter macrumors regular

veo321

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I'm not sure what exactly you're getting at. Are you asking if blocking internet connections will allow you to install 4.0 on your phone without having your UDID registered on a developer account? If you're a developer as you claim I would expect you to know better.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

sorry my bad sorry to have bothered you!

14. veo321 thread starter macrumors regular

veo321

Just because I am a developer doesn't mean I know how and if that would work and I see no harm. I just wish someone would answer my question and I would vfdecrypt it, however this is only do-able with iPod Touch 2nd Gen right now and yes it is legal as long as you have a legitimate source for your firmware.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Dude. It's a stupid idea, and of course it won't work. That you think it could betrays your complete lack of understanding of the most basic things about your phone, and indicates that you most certainly should not be installing a Beta OS on your phone.

There, is that a plain enough answer for you?

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

most of us here

have no interest in installing a unstable beta software! heck most of us here won't touch 4.0 when it's officially released. At least until there is a jb for it! I think you A asking the wrong people and B. find a nicer way to ask for help! nobody owes you a answer just because you asked nobody owes anybody anything. we try to help people yes, but owe no!

17. veo321 thread starter macrumors regular

veo321

Yes.

Why yes, yes it is

And labman I don't recall demanding you or anyone else for an answer infact I think you angered me more than helped me lol and no one appears to be on my side but now I have an answer and don't mind what else goes on

18. veo321 thread starter macrumors regular

veo321

Aren't you the most helpful person I've ever met ;)