Upgrading to 4.2

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tee7788, Nov 1, 2010.

1. tee7788 macrumors newbie

Hi my jailbroken iPhone 4 is currently still in firmware 4.0. My question is when 4.2 comes out, should I choose the option to "update" or "restore"? The reason I'm asking is if I choose update, will there be any problem since my iPhone is jailbroken? Will I just lose all my jailbroken apps if I choose update and keep all my settings (SMS, bookmarks, contacts,etc)? I'm thinking I should choose restore but I'm trying to avoid backing up and restoring everything manually through SSH. I'm hoping that if I choose update I can keep all my settings and the only thing I need to do is rejailbreak to 4.2 without needing to restore my settings. Please advice. Thanks.

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

No. You have all the concepts mucked up.

If you 'install' iOS 4.2, call it restore or update, it matters not, you will LOSE YOUR JB. Now by the time that 4.2 comes out, there may already be a JB tool out, but we don't know that, and for the period in which such tool is lacking, you WILL NOT BE JB'd.

Second, if you 'install' a new iOS, all your JB apps will disappear. Gone. You can reinstall them from Cydia, you won't have to pay again, but you will have to go through them one by one and reinstall. Alternatively, invest in Pkgbackup.

Hope this clarifies stuff for you.

3. tee7788 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks lucifiel.

I know I will lose the jailbreak regardless if I update or restore to 4.2. My real concern is I will also lose all my other settings like bookmarks, SMS messages, contacts, notes, etc. I know I can always restore from backup but I read people having problems doing this after jailbreaking. I guess to be safe I'll just manually backup using SSH. So what's the main difference between 'update' and 'restore'?

4. MavsX macrumors member

MavsX

5. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

you are right in the aspect of updating - you will retain settings/personal datas and firmware is updated.

restore - reset to factory setting. you can restore from a backup, but it is not recommended as you can carry some jb files in that backup (assuming you backed up when it was jb'd).

6. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

So, lets say the official 4.2 is released by Apple.
    And the Dev-Team Release PwnageTool that is compatible to JB 4.2

You shouldn't back up iPhone on iTunes and restore from backup when JB is complete?

As I understand it with PwnageTool you have to put your iPhone into DFU mode and that basically wipes everything when you restore from a Custon ipsw, so you'll lose all data including photos and notes and app data like game saves etc?

What is the best way of Upgrading while keeping all your data?

I Currently have JB 4.1 on an iPhone 4.

7. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

You can try to restore from a backup you made in iTunes, theoretically nothing should go wrong.

But, as the OP noted, some people have had errors, so for safety, SSH into your phone and pull out the stuff which is relevant to you.

8. tombee macrumors member

I'm a pretty smart guy and very computer literate/savvy, but this jb stuff makes my head spin sometimes.

I successfully (and fairly effortlessly) jb'd my iphone4 - v4.0.1.
    skipped out on the whole 4.1 stuff.
    but will certainly want to upgrade to 4.2

I don't have too much jb apps, so don't mind starting from scratch.

I have faith (and patience) that 4.2 will jb'd pretty quick, so I'd be happy waiting to upgrade until the jb'd 4.2 is out.

So when apple releases 4.2 - what do I do?

(I have my ssh saved from before jb'ing 4.0.1)

thanks in advance for some hand-holding and education.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You answered your own question, all you do is "WAIT", each Jailbreak is different, so you wait for the Hackers to finish their job and release the instructions.

10. smokescreen220 macrumors regular

smokescreen220

according to geohot

"Redsn0w 0.9.6b2 has been confirmed to jailbreak iOS 4.2 GM on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPod touch 4G / 3G / 2G and iPad."

11. dragonc12 macrumors member

dragonc12

True...but right now cydia is not compatible with 4.2. Chpwn is working on getting it updated. 4.2 is slated to come out November 7th according to some rumors. But what's a jailbreak without cydia :) so chances are we still may have to wait a bit for all the kinks to get worked out.