Upgrading to 4GB - does it help ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by XPcentric, Jul 12, 2010.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

Hello guys, I'm thinking to run two virtual machines, and wonder if upgrading from 2GB to 4GB is any useful ?

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

In terms of RAM, yes ~ I would say so. It'd definitely run better during periods of intensive use, as you've obviously got twice what you had before. When you're running a lot of things at once, it should be very handy.

3. XPcentric thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for answering!
    However I'm interested if it helps also more when running an intensive application which makes CPU 100 or more (i dont know if its percent in Activity monitor or what is) and also the temperature go over 80 celcius.

Yeah, I remember.. though I'm not a game player, is it only me who cant run software like Stellarium, or FlightGear simulator , because of fear my processor will boom ?

So this is the question, would it help in this case?

Regards!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

RAM cannot do mathematical calculations thus it will not speed up the CPU. It's highly unlikely that current CPUs would blow up, they will shut themselves when they hit certain temperature

5. LXguy macrumors newbie

I wouldn't recommend running a virtual machine with less than 4GB. VMs are about the biggest memory hogs out there.

I could potentially see a cooling benefit being possible because the CPU would be able to get things done more quickly than when it has to spool to disk. If that sounds like a stretch, it is.

My machine definitely runs cooler with more RAM in it because the hard drive (head) runs less, don't know about the processor. Battery lasts longer also.