Upgrading to 4K iMac - worth it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by karilynn, Jan 28, 2015.

1. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

Hi all. I have a 3 month old iMac - not 4k. I bought it on the same day that the 4K iMacs came out. I thought about getting the 4K, but didn't really want to spend the extra money. I love my iMac, but I keep reading about how amazing the 4K iMac is and I'm regretting my choice. I'm getting a pretty hefty tax refund and I am wondering if it is worth selling my current iMac and upgrading to the 4K iMac? I noticed Apple has a 4K refurb for $2,100. :eek:

I do some light gaming, photoshop, photo editing, and your standard web surfing, music, chatting, etc. on my iMac. I avoided reading reviews about the 4K iMac for quite some time because I knew it would make me want it, then I caved and now I can't stop thinking about it. "Best iMac ever!" is all I keep reading. Now assuming I could get 1300-1400 for my current iMac, I would have a difference of almost 1,000 dollars, even with the refurb.

So, my question for you guys, is it worth it? Is it a smart move or should I just wait a few years? Does anybody think the price of the 4K iMac will decrease in time?

2. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

it's not worth the loss just for retina. If you had a 2010 iMac or older, then yes.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It's not 4K... it's 5K :D

----------

This, although I would say the 2011 counts as well.

4. andy9l macrumors 68000

That's inherent, really. Every new release should be the best ever, otherwise something's gone wrong! ;)

I'd personally wait for 2nd-gen in a few months, though, given you've got a pretty up-to-date machine.

I returned my specced-up 5K iMac for full refund and currently do not intend on buying until the next release. I'm on a 2010 iMac with a SSD - a world behind you - and doing very similar day-to-day tasks.

I do miss the screen, though :(

5. karilynn thread starter macrumors regular

karilynn

oops! sorry! lol I was just looking at those 4K tv's and I got it confused... this new technology is a little above my head

----------

thank you for the advice. I think I'm going to stick with what I have... especially considering I'm calling it a 4K iMac. I probably do not need it lol

6. andy9l macrumors 68000

Well it is the only heavily marketed 5K monitor at the moment, so I think you've got a good excuse!

The screen is undeniably fantastic, but the operating system and graphics card drivers are still not ready for it. Neither is most of the web, for that matter.

Most bugs are minor, sure, but they're still there. Not what I personally expect for a mid-range desktop in the region of £3,000.

7. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

That's up to you. It's worth it if you really want it and have the money to spend on it. That might sound obvious, but really, what does the internet know about your finances and lifestyle? And it's a really great Mac. If it was a question about "do I need this to accomplish X?" than it would be closer to a question that could be answered quantitatively.

Otherwise, you're just hoping to hear what you want to hear. If you were hoping to get support in trading in for the 5K riMac, you came to the wrong place (most people here don't have that kind of money). If you were hoping to be talked down from spending a bunch of money, you came to the right place (most people here don't have that kind of money ;)).

The price will decrease over the next several years... in a few years, 4K and 5K displays will be standard.

Enjoy your Mac whatever you ultimately decide! :)

8. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

Well Steve, you clearly don't need it. You don't video edit and your other usage is 'light' But it looks like you have some extra income coming in and you want it. So, make a list. If you are carrying any sort of credit card debt, absolutely not. If you have other infrastructure needs in your dwelling or your significant other needs something, then no. Hold on. Can you try to foresee some unforeseen expenses in the upcoming year? Medical? Family? Car?

There hopefully will be an upgrade in fall of 2015 when I am looking to purchase. If you can hold on till then, you should. If not, and you can responsibly splurge, go ahead.

9. AR86 macrumors member

About 9 or so months left for that yet though? almost no chance they do a broadwell update.

10. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

This case reminds me of the mid 2012 rMBP when it came out and it had many of the same issues as the riMac

11. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Don't let these guys talk you out of it. If you have the money and you really want the 5K iMac, go get it and sell off your current iMac. The screen really is amazing.

Whether it's worth it is up to you but honestly, at least for me, the 5K iMac is a joy to use and the graphics and text are razor sharp. Doesn't compare to anything else.

12. alphaswift macrumors member

You obviously missed the last Mac Mini release!

13. MacSignal macrumors regular

For recent non-retina iMac buyers living with regret and willing to spend the money to buy retina now, maybe consider making a move sooner than later. Your non-retina iMac will never be worth more than it is right now. Whatever you are going to get for your non-retina iMac, your best chance to do well is now.

I think a rapid and pretty dramatic market shift towards a preference for the iMac Retina is coming, whether or not the market "needs" a retina display.

IMO, non-retina iMac resale is going to fall a lot faster than Apple's selling price for future iMac Retina computers.

14. andy9l macrumors 68000

Maybe so, no-one knows. My guess would be any time around either April (unlikely) or October (likely).

Depends what's going on with these infamous M295X GPUs. They're going back to Apple and disappearing!

I don't think anyone here was talking anyone out of buying one. The real-world difference between the OP's 2013 iMac and the closest equivalent 5K iMac is, ultimately, the screen. That's it.

So in this *particular* situation, the question becomes; do you want to spend $1,000 to become a beta tester of an improved screen? That's the question the OP must answer themselves. Given the ongoing graphics-related issues with the 5K iMac - particularly the M295X model - I know what my personal decision would be.

If you're on an iMac from 2012 or before, the situation is completely different.

Ha! ;)

This is a really good point.

15. AppleFan360, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015

AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

You have been reading these forums too much. Most of the people who are not having problems don't post here therefore giving the pre-conception that the 5K iMac has issues with the display and whatever else comes up. Of course there are those who will have issues but what is represented here is far from reality.

I also don't get why 5K iMac users are considered "beta testers". The screen was tested long before the general public got there hands on it. The 5K iMac is not a beta piece of equipment. It's stable and looks great. Besides, the actual guts of the 5K iMac are much like previous iMacs so its really not a beta product.

16. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Beta tester of an improved screen? If this is a reference to issues like backlight bleed and uneven color temperature, keep in mind these issues predated the Retina iMac by a long shot. For instance, my 2010 iMac also has both.

As for the M295X GPU, keep in mind that it is new technology still found exclusively in the Retina iMac. Like any new technology it has bugs that were not picked up in the initial testing phase. Simple as that.

17. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Yeah. Reports of problems are WAY overstated. This has less problems than the last two releases of iMacs I purchased. I have 0 as in zip problems with graphics. It's basically just the machine you have with a much better screen. Maybe you can look up one of the few dissatisfied customers here and trade 'em....

Or maybe you can return it to Apple and say the screen looks fuzzy and unfocused. ;)

Whether it's worth it just depends on $$. Couple years from now odds are you'll be getting retina anyway, and your current machine will be worth less than a 5k of the same vintage.

18. AlifTheUnseen macrumors member

AlifTheUnseen

There could be a Broadwell update for the 2013 iMacs with a smaller 4K Retina screen resolution for the 21.5" in April.

Don't forget the heat and the noize…

19. andy9l macrumors 68000

Agreed. Negative comments are always more prominent online. That said, the frequently reported problems in this case are generally GPU/display related - be it glitches/artefacts, GPU heat and fan noise issues, or display issues.

We call early adopters "beta testers" at work (lots of Apple fans in a creative agency). Perhaps a little unfair in this case, but the risks aren't too dissimilar. A product moves from beta, to us - the early adopters. Revision 2 then resolves the widespread issues.

As above, perhaps I was unfair. You're paying to be an early adopter of the new hardware and screen combination.

Doesn't the Alienware 15 use the M295X?
    http://www.alienware.co.uk/Landings/laptops.aspx

----------

That's free of charge as part of the early adopter package, my friend. Special deal for you today, sir.

/s

20. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I was a mid 2012 rMBP "early adopter" for two years. Loved that machine, I'd still be using it today if it weren't for badly wanting a desktop.

I'm glad I went with the rMBP instead of the non-retina when they were still being sold side-by-side in 2012, despite the newer and more buggy hardware. The retina is a lot more relevant today, and had I gone with a non-retina I'd have felt a lot more pressure to upgrade (especially with the recent release of Yosemite).

That must mean PCs are finally starting to get it. It'll be interesting to see what their experience with this GPU is.

21. karilynn thread starter macrumors regular

karilynn

You've all certainly given me a lot to think about here. I am not hard pressed for money, don't have a debt to pay. Could the 1,000 dollars be spent differently, well yeah, I could do some good for humanity or put it in savings or pay a month of rent, you get it, but I want the best things! haha :(

I worry about my current iMac losing its value real quick because it isn't retina/5K. I know that is the wave of the future.

22. Steveatesh macrumors regular

Steveatesh

I am another that doesn't have problems with graphics on my RiMac. Mind it's "just" the basic but it's quiet glitch free.

In fact after reading many posts on here I've assumed I have a "wrong Un" as my machine has behaved perfectly from taking it out of the box! :)

And the screen is simply amazing, not just for photography but general use too. Personally I wouldn't go back and I have no regrets about buying one, my first imac.

Decide what is best for you and go for it.