Upgrading to 4S - SIM Swap Procedures?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by biosci, Oct 13, 2011.

1. biosci macrumors 6502a

So we're upgrading my wife's 3GS. We bought the 4S under her plan but she'll be taking my iP4. Do we just activate it first on the 4S and then after that, swap the microsim?

Or can we just do the sim swap before even powering on the device?

2. schizbomb macrumors 6502

Let's see if I got this right.

Your wife used her upgrade on her line to get the 4S, but she's actually taking your iPhone 4, and you're ditching her 3GS?

In this scenario, you would take the microsim out of your iPhone 4, and put it in the 4S before you even power on the 4S.

Then you take your wife to AT&T and have them make a microsim for her line and pop that in the iPhone 4 and you're good to go.

3. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's it. I just wanted to check because the phone was purchased online in her name so I thought that to get the subsidized price, she would have to activate the sim that was tied to the order/in the iP4S. Once that is done then I thought you would swap the sims. Does that procedure mess things up somehow as I thought the micro sims were interchangeable.

4. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

5. rubdom macrumors member

Pretty sure you can activate the 4S with the new micro sim then just swap the sims. No need to call or visit AT&T since they are both iPhones.

6. biosci thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I was thinking initially since they have at the same data plans anyway and both are microsims.

7. Jordan9 macrumors member

Jordan9

Don't want to hijack but I have a similar situation and don't want to make another thread.

I ordered a new iPhone 4S through my dad's line which should arrive tomorrow. Currently my dad is using a dumb phone and is out of the country. After I put the 4S to my number I plan to send my iPhone 4 to my sister.

Will I be able to take my SIM card out of my 4 and put in the 4S before ever turning it on and not mess up my dad's phone? I don't want him to come back to the US with a dead phone needing a new SIM. And then when my sister receives my 4, she can get AT&T to give her a new Micro SIM(she has a 3G right now).

8. schizbomb macrumors 6502

As long as you don't turn on the phone, I do not believe it will initialize the sim inside the phone and your dad's phone will be fine.

This is my belief, I am not 100% sure

9. Jordan9 macrumors member

Jordan9

I was thinking it would have worked but I went into an AT&T store and had them activate the phone to my line. this way I knew it would be right.