Upgrading to 64-bit windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by arnegevaert, Jul 6, 2012.

1. arnegevaert macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I've been trying to "upgrade" my BootCamp partition to run a 64-bit version of Windows 7 (Currently, it's running a 32-bit version). I know technically this can't be called "upgrading" because you have to do a clean install, so I backed up all of my files to an external drive. Now, for the installation of the 64-bit windows version, I'd like to use an external drive (Another one.). So, I copied over the contents of a 64-bit Windows ISO file onto the drive and booted in my current 32-bit version of Windows. Windows seemed to recognize the drive as a windows installation disc, since it displayed the same icon. So, I went in and tried opening setup.exe, but the problem is, this appears to be a 64-bit program itself, and it can't run it. So, the big question is, is there a way to do a clean 64-bit install on my bootcamp partition using my external hard drive, or do I really have to burn a DVD?

Regards,
    Arne Gevaert

2. KevinN206 macrumors regular

I think you really need a DVD or USB of the 64-bit. The installation method you described isn't supported. Windows 32-bit simply cannot run any 64-bit executable files.

3. arnegevaert thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I have a USB drive that I should be able to use (according to the icon displayed in Explorer), but it doesn't detect the drive in startup manager. How can I boot in this external drive?

4. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

You can't install 64 bit windows from a previously installed windows. Get yourself a dvd and boot from that to install. Macs are not happy about booting of a usb device but are happy about booting from a firewire device.

5. arnegevaert thread starter macrumors newbie

Allright, guess I don't have a choice, I'll look for a DVD. Thanks anyways :)