Upgrading to 7 from XP on Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Chupa Chupa, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have XP on my Boot Camp drive. Can I just boot the 7 upgrade DVD and install (understand it will wipe out XP) or do I need to go back to the BC Assistant and remove the existing BC partition and then repartition again?

I'm just not clear whether I can upgrade by booting the install DVD or if I have to install via BC assistant.

2. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

On the PeeCee side, there is no upgrade from XP to Windows 7. None.

To 'upgrade' a system from XP to 7 the machine has to be reformatted and repartitioned. Heck, we've been skipping that step and installing new hard drives. It's quicker and easier.

So: No upgrade. Trash and burn. Answered?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Just upgrade by booting the install DVD.

If you run into any trouble check the clean install guide at winsupersite and just install twice.

B

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just back up your data and boot onto the Windows 7 install DVD holding the Option key and selecting it. The install Windows 7 over XP. You can do the upgrade key hack available online if you have an upgrade key.

5. vistadude macrumors 65816

I put in the windows 7 disc and it formatted my xp partition. However, the first few times I held the option key, it did not boot to the dvd, which apple didn't explain why. Also, during the install process, it will go through several restarts, so you have to be there for the full install, otherwise it'll boot to mac os. I think it restarted 3 times and i had to choose to boot from the dvd or the windows partition, so i just guessed the following: dvd, dvd, hard disk, and it somehow worked.

6. Tarek macrumors 6502

At vistadude, that's weird. I just insert my Windows 7 DVD, boot from it, click install and just let it do its thing. It doesn't automatically boot into Mac OS X when it restarts during the installation process.

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

That's if you run the bootcamp assistant to partition the drive and then directly insert the windows 7 disc as the mac will tell you to. However, if you have xp installed with a previous bootcamp partition, then install windows 7 on top of that, it will boot to the mac os three or four times if you're not pressing option.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can manually set the startup disk to default to Windows in System Preferences to mimic what BCA does. You also should only need to boot once from DVD in Windows 7 install. The first pass copies everything it needs to the HDD.

B