Upgrading to 8GB RAM in Late 2009 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icedvovo, Dec 19, 2009.

1. icedvovo macrumors newbie

Ok, I live in Australia and am in America for a holiday and since my ancient iBook G4 has seen better days I was thinking of buying a Macbook Pro since even with tax and the exchange rate I save lots of $$$ :D. I'm still deciding whether to go with the 2.53GHz 13inch or 2.53GHz 15inch but I am certain that at some point in the future I wish to upgrade to 8GB of RAM. I don't want to buy the laptop with it already installed though. Now since I already have 4GB of RAM pre-installed can I just buy another 4GB RAM stick and install that myself? Thanks in advance for help! :apple:

PS. Some websites for both America (that offer international shipping) + Australia would also be helpful.... :p

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Apple has matched pairs of 2GB of RAM sticks installed in their MBPs, so in order to upgrade to 8GB you have to buy a pair of 4GB RAM sticks and get the two 2GB RAM sticks out.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

They usually do 4gb as 2x2GB sticks, so unless you have one 4GB stick, you have to replace them both.

4. initialxp macrumors newbie

have just recently got a mbp with 2gb ram but wanting to upgrade to 4gb smetime after xmas

which ones should i look for? not got the slighest clue how to change them but i have youtube to guide me thru hopefully!

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

What model MBP do you have? Assuming it's the most recent one, you'll be looking for DDR3 1066 MHz RAM. Crucial is a well-like brand.