Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ND2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Hey guys, I don't know a lot about this technical stuff, so I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

First of off, let me start by saying that I'm a graphic designer so 90% of the time I'm in one of adobe's creative suite programs.

Back in 2007 I bought my first macbook pro, and it was the cheapest one back then (15" and I think it was about $1800 or so). Great computer, it lasted 4 years until virtual memory (i think?) was damaged last year and it was cheaper for me to buy a new computer instead of fixing the old one. I decided to buy the cheapest 13" macbook pro, thinking I couldn't go wrong (in terms of speed) with a newer computer even if it was the cheapest one. I've had the computer for about 6 months now, and I think it's too slow for what I need it.

I took the new 13" to the genius bar last week thinking there was something wrong with it, but I was told the computer was fine, and they suggested I upgraded the RAM to 8GB (I currently have 4GB). From what I've read the 8GB will make a difference, however I'm wondering how much of a difference?

I already ordered the 8GB online, but I'm wondering if I should just buy the 15" 2.2Quad Core instead? Does anyone know if there's a big difference between the 2.4Dual and the 2.2Quad? I know there are more differences between the 2 computers than just the processor , I'm just calling them that to identify each computer.

Or if I really want to feel a difference in performance, I have to go with the 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7? Or am I just being crazy and the 8GB of RAM will make all the difference in the world? :confused:

Any advice/comments will be appreciated.

Thanks!

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
Hey guys, I don't know a lot about this technical stuff, so I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

First of off, let me start by saying that I'm a graphic designer so 90% of the time I'm in one of adobe's creative suite programs.

Back in 2007 I bought my first macbook pro, and it was the cheapest one back then (15" and I think it was about $1800 or so). Great computer, it lasted 4 years until virtual memory (i think?) was damaged last year and it was cheaper for me to buy a new computer instead of fixing the old one. I decided to buy the cheapest 13" macbook pro, thinking I couldn't go wrong (in terms of speed) with a newer computer even if it was the cheapest one. I've had the computer for about 6 months now, and I think it's too slow for what I need it.

I took the new 13" to the genius bar last week thinking there was something wrong with it, but I was told the computer was fine, and they suggested I upgraded the RAM to 8GB (I currently have 4GB). From what I've read the 8GB will make a difference, however I'm wondering how much of a difference?

I already ordered the 8GB online, but I'm wondering if I should just buy the 15" 2.2Quad Core instead? Does anyone know if there's a big difference between the 2.4Dual and the 2.2Quad? I know there are more differences between the 2 computers than just the processor , I'm just calling them that to identify each computer.

Or if I really want to feel a difference in performance, I have to go with the 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7? Or am I just being crazy and the 8GB of RAM will make all the difference in the world? :confused:

Any advice/comments will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Running Adobe's Creative Suite, chances are the 8GB will help quite a bit. I have a 15" early 2011 MBP, and going from 4GB to 8GB made a huge difference for me. Depending on what you're doing I guess the integrated graphics could be limiting, but I'd bet it's the RAM. Since you already ordered it, pop it in when it arrives and test it out for a little while. If the RAM upgrade helps, fantastic! Cheap upgrade. If you're still having trouble at that point, then you might want to look at other upgrades or a new machine. But definitely give the RAM a go first. Hope it works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.