Upgrading to a 500GB HD on New MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EdMastaFleX, Nov 5, 2008.

1. EdMastaFleX macrumors newbie

Was wondering if anyone could help me out with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have owned the macbook pro 2.20Ghz for 2 years now. I just got a new October edition MacBook pro 2.53 and I got a Samsung 500GB HD for it instead of the 320GB. I wanted to use SuperDuper to clone my current HD on the old MacBook pro to my new 500GB HD which I will later install on the new MBP in order to keep my settings, files, apps, and such. My question is, if I clone the old HD and install it on the new MBP will there be any consequences when I boot up from it?? I was thinking maybe the new MBP has extra software, if that is what it is, that allows gestures and enables the new trackpad and therefore, maybe by using the clone of my old HD, I may loose that extra software and may not be able to use gestures and have problems with the new trackpad. Am I wrong?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, that's not the best way to go about it. With the new chipsets, and the new trackpads and such it really is best to do a clean install from the discs that come with the new macbook and then migrate your files over somehow. If you have an external hard drive you can do a time machine backup, that works well.

3. EdMastaFleX thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds like a lot of work and a lot of time. I guess some times you have to go through the pains..

Could I just install the 500GB drive and then stick the disc that comes with the new MBP?? I have already partitioned it and done all the works...

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Yeah, that should be OK. If you partitioned it then when you are installing OSX you'll just have to select the partition and possibly format that partition, depending. If you have already installed a version of OSX on the mac partition, you can try doing an Archive and Install making sure to preserve the settings.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Just make a time machine backup on the old computer, then put your new install DVD in the new computer. During the installer assistant, choose migrate from time machine backup and choose your backup. Wait an hour and you'll be good to go.

6. EdMastaFleX thread starter macrumors newbie

Will time machine back up disk images as well?

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

What exactly do you mean by this? Time machine backs up your entire system. All files and settings.

8. EdMastaFleX thread starter macrumors newbie

You know, the disk images you create in disk utility. Anyway, I am sure it does. I did already! Thanks fellas for your help.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well you can clone everything over and then do an Archive and Install (preserving network and users) with the Restore DVD of the new machine. This way you have the correct drives on your new machine.

10. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Speed issues???

I'm also thinking of getting this drive. From my research it appears only this and a Hitachi drive are available and both run at only 5400rpms like the standard drive.

My concern is the speed of the drive and a review on the Tom's Hardware site seems to think the Samsung is pretty solw. What is your experience of this and is it so noticeable???

best.

11. EdMastaFleX thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the late reply. The speed is the same as the regular drive. I dont see it any slower. For me however, size is what matters most. I hate carrying an external HD.

12. sam700nf macrumors newbie

OK, so what was the consensus answer? I am considering upgrading to a 7200 RPM drive and I am not worried about a legacy install. Can I buy the hard drive, stick it in the laptop, then use my install disk to format, partition, etc.? Or do I need to do that before installing the HD. Again, clean install is not an issue.