Upgrading to a 7200RPM, data access question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Razeus, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Razeus macrumors 601

I'm going to swap in a 7200RPM 500GB drive tonight. I have all my stuff backed up to an external drive. However, is it possible to take my old hard drive, place it in an external case, and then access/transfer my files from that as well? I want to keep the drive as is for now until I know everything is working fine on my new drive, then convert it for use as a Time Machine drive.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes. When you connect your now external drive, you'll the same folders as if you were to click on Macintosh HD. From there just go to the Users folder than your home folder to retrieve all your data. This does not work for applications. Some don't allow you to transfer so you would need to reinstall them again.

3. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

Ok thanks. I just need to move over my Music, Video, and Documents over. I plan on re-installing all apps from scratch. It doesn't matter I'm doing this with USB 2.0?

The reason I ask is because I think my external drive is about to fail and I don't want to access it too much. I bought a replacement for it, but I don't want to have to transfer data to that and do it again with a transfer to the Macbook.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes. Most enclosures are USB 2.0 so you shouldn't have a problem.

5. Razeus thread starter macrumors 601

Installed and up and running. Soooooo much more faster. Transferring all my data back over now. Gonna take a while, plus there's a TON of Apple Updates I need to do. Can't wait to see how much better iTunes will perform.