Upgrading to a beta ?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by PsykX, Aug 18, 2014.

1. PsykX macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Hi,

So I have a developer account, I'm using it for my game in iOS. While we're at it, I'd like to install the new iOS beta on my Apple TV because it's been acting up since I've had it, and AirPlay isn't reliable at all. I know it's undergone through major changes in iOS 8 for Apple TV, letting devices talk to each other directly.

So I unplug everything on my AppleTV, put my micro-USB in it, open iTunes 12 beta, ... nothing. Where is this supposed to show up ? This new iTunes is so strange in terms of UI that I have absolutely no idea whatsoever.

Thanks.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

3. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

Same happened to me until I also plugged in the power cord. I was under the impression that only the USB needed to be plugged in but not in my experience.

4. PsykX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PsykX

Yeah, thanks, you were right. I swear I've tried that though... but my MBP is so unresponsive, it might have just been loading it all the time.

And yes, the instructions on Apple's website are clear : you remove every cord plugged to it, including the power cord, then you plug it in via micro-USB. That's rather confusing and untrue... :confused:

--

About the current implementation of AirPlay, I'll say it... it sucks. It's sad because it's probably by far the best feature on this device.

AirPlay in iOS 8 and Yosemite is based on peer-to-peer connection instead of passing through the WiFi network, thus will be way more reliable and faster, ... in theory.

5. PsykX thread starter macrumors 6502a

PsykX

After a lot of hassle (getting the UDID in iTunes 12 beta was a mess), I managed to update.

It's day and night with AirPlay. It's not 60 fps, which means transmitting games like Starcraft II to my TV isn't that smooth, but it's definitely acceptable.