Upgrading to a MBP from 1st gen MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Offspring992, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Offspring992 macrumors member

I picked up a MacBook (black) in June of 06 after I graduated high school and it's been fine with a few faults. My screen flickers more frequently, battery life is starting to get worse, some heat/fan issues among a few other things but it hasn't really bothered me too much. My Apple Care ended back this past June so there isn't any way of getting it fixed/replaced without a fee. I'm going to start using Illustrator for cartography related projects and I'm going to end up dual booting to use a program called ArcGIS for future classes as well in addition to the usual MS office apps, eventually Logic (though GarageBand works just fine as of now), iMovie editing, and maybe even some light gaming. I'm debating between the mid-level 13" with an external monitor or just the base 15" and being done with it. For those of you out there who have upgraded from MacBooks (or similar) that are as old as mine or even older, was it worth it? Or should I just keep using my current MacBook until it dies?

2. brendu macrumors 68020

back in august i replaced my 2003 ibook g4 with the 13"umbp and i love it. i got an external display which worked great but since i have an imac i did not find myself using it that much with my macbook so i hooked it up to my imac as a second display... i would say go 13" with external though over 15" because you will get 20+ inches more screen space vs 2" more....

3. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

You'll probably be very happy if you upgrade. But wait 2 or 3 months if you can, to see what new models will potentially bring. There's a good chance there will be new MBPs better than the current ones, and even if new models are disappointing the current ones will move to the refurb store at lower prices.