Upgrading to a New mac Question bout OEM

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macfan881, Mar 25, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I might be upgradeing to the Mac mini in a few weeks and i currently have a copy of Windows Xp OEM and i was wondering from what ive been reading if i do a clean wipe of my older Mac should i be able to install that copy of windows onto the newer computer?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If it's a full OEM version (not upgrade or "system restore" version that comes with a PC) and at least SP2, you shouldn't have any trouble installing. Microsoft might give you a little bit of grief if you try to activate it, but usually a phone call with an explanation does the trick.

3. macfan881 thread starter macrumors 68020

ok thought so if worse case i downlodaded TinyXp and will use that if worse case scenario

4. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

As Tomorrow has stated, a phone call will clear it up. Just make sure (assuming you get a human talking to you, not a machine) that you answer these two questions the correct way.

*Is this the only computer you are installing this version of Windows and serial key on?
    - You say "yes, it is the only one" (no need to explain where it was before, it may complicate things)

*Is this a legal version of Windows?
    - You say "yes, it is indeed legal" (Again, no need to explain where it came from)

Works all the time. Good Luck! :)