Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glasserp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
I would really like to upgrade my AirPort card in my MacBook so I can use Time Capsule and take advantage of the higher speed. I know draft N isn't supported by Core Duos but I've found several guides and tests saying it is possible. Has anyone tried this?

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I'd love to know too seeing that I just threw an 802.11n card in my Mac Pro and bought an Airport Express. I sure would love to get my 1st gen MacBook up to speed.

jalayu

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
It can be done. I've read that the card that you need is the card made for the macpro. core 2 duo macbooks and MBPs have a 3 antenna setup, where the core duo MB has 2 antennas.

It just so happens that the macpro has a two antenna setup that would work fine.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
I've done it - it's best to do it while you're swapping a hard drive, as you're right there anyway.

It's not at all difficult, but finding the kit can be - I think that Apple got wind of what people were doing, and put out a note that the kit for the Mac Pro should only be installed by an Apple authorized service person, or something to that effect.

I found mine with one of the big Mac 3rd party vendors in Oregon, and paid less than $50 for it.

You do need the 802.11n enabler, but it should come with the kit.

Quite honestly, I don't see a significant difference in performance from the original B/G card, but it's nice to know I do get better speed and range - I did notice a difference in the range I got with it.

If you have any questions let me know...

MacDann

glasserp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Cool, thank you very much. I called up the local authorized reseller/shop and asked if they would be able to do such a thing. They said they had the card in stock, but I didn't specify it being a Mac Pro card (2 vs. 3 antennas). I'll make sure of that next time. The guy I talked to on the phone though said that it "wouldn't be possible to achieve those speeds with the core due" and so I was a little confused because I've read on multiple places online that people were seeing a difference. I guess this answers my question though.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Cool, thank you very much. I called up the local authorized reseller/shop and asked if they would be able to do such a thing. They said they had the card in stock, but I didn't specify it being a Mac Pro card (2 vs. 3 antennas). I'll make sure of that next time. The guy I talked to on the phone though said that it "wouldn't be possible to achieve those speeds with the core due" and so I was a little confused because I've read on multiple places online that people were seeing a difference. I guess this answers my question though.

Not sure what they meant by that. There's nothing in a CD machine that would limit bandwidth regardless of which card you had in it. I would ask them to clarify that statement.

These are the guys I bought the kit from, and I am almost positive this is the one. I say that because there was an issue with the "A" revision kit that was still in the system at the time, as it did not have the CD for the 802.11n enabler.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

MacDann

kmarketing

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2004
Hi,

I can't which model number I got, but I got internal dell wireless n cards that work perfectly. I believe they use the same chipsets that the apple ones use. Plus they were much cheaper.

I've had the cards in for more than a year, and have been very pleased with their performance.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Hi,

I can't which model number I got, but I got internal dell wireless n cards that work perfectly. I believe they use the same chipsets that the apple ones use. Plus they were much cheaper.

I've had the cards in for more than a year, and have been very pleased with their performance.

If I recall correctly, there was a Dell card that was the equivalent to the Apple one at the time. I don't remember the details, but there were people using them as well with good results. Since the cost for the Apple Airport card was under $50, I went that way, knowing that it would fit and work as intended...

MacDann

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.