Upgrading to an iPhone 5s, but will the iPhone 6 be a lot better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by batmankobe24, Aug 1, 2014.

1. batmankobe24 macrumors newbie

I'm finally gonna upgrading to the iPhone 5s (I have an iPhone 4s). But I'm just wondering if I will miss out on the iPhone 6. Will it crush the iPhone 5s? I don't really care about a bigger screen. But I do care about its weight (Duh! the iPhone 4s is heavy!). Will it be a lot lighter than the 5s? Just curious.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has not officially released any specifications, so all we have is speculation.

Given that its probably only a month, maybe two away. I'd say wait and get the iPhone 6.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Wait. Even if you end up not liking the 6, the 5s will be cheaper at that point, so either way, it's a win-win to wait.

4. pure-rockstar macrumors regular

No one here would possibly know. They don't even know if it will be 5.5 they're just guessing.

5. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I would wait considering how close it is to the release of iPhone 6. Just like mentioned before, even if you decide to still get the 5S, it will be cheaper!

7. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

8. batmankobe24 thread starter macrumors newbie

So true. I was already planning to wait though. It's definitely good to know that the 5s will cheaper when the 6 comes out.

----------

Sorry I was just curious.

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Better camera

Better graphics

etc

10. joshkhaos1 macrumors 6502

Not sure that it will crush the 5S, but it will definitely be faster and lighter.

11. suprakc macrumors regular

I love my 5s. Picked it up on launch day unlocked.

However, I agree that you should wait until September. Might as well see what the 6 has to offer. Unless you are in absolute need of a phone.

Will I upgrade? Probably not. But I am curious to see the changes, and I would likely upgrade to a 6 if I was still on a 4s. When the 6s arrives one year later - I will be all over it, guaranteed. I have just found, between the 4, 4s, 5, and 5s - that the s models are the same, yes, but have all the flaws and bugs worked out with newer tech installed (e.g. battery issues, display issues, better anodizing, cases introduced, etc...)

Wait and see, though. It's a win-win if you wait, as per mentioned above.

12. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

In years past, at this stage you were better off waiting until next month. You'd either buy the new model, or the previous year's models for $100 less.

But, last year's 5c introduction changed this outlook somewhat. If you really want an aluminum bodied iPhone, the 5s might wind up getting the "5c" treatment with the internals getting transferred into a heavier plastic and steel body. Or Apple could carry the 5s over like they would have prior to last year.

We really won't know until the introduction. At that point, you'll know whether Apple keeps it as is, or reskins it.

13. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

Couldn't word it any better #

14. businezguy macrumors 6502

I have to agree with those who are suggesting you wait. The iPhone 6 may have some features you'll miss, and you'll regret your decision. It's only going to be a couple more months.

15. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

Just wait for the iPhone 6 since it's maybe 2 months tops. You've already waited this long!

16. batmankobe24 thread starter macrumors newbie

17. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

Since my "dumb" phone was dying last month, I upgraded to iPhone 5s instead of waiting 3 months.

So, if it's a need to upgrade like me, I would recommend it in lieu of waiting.

18. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

Some good deals can be found on ebay now on the 5S.

I bought last week a brand new unopened simfree 32GB 5S UK spec from a retailer on ebay for £529, so saved over £100 already on it.

I intend getting the 6 after all of the hype has died down, sometime in the new year & I'll still get a decent price on this 5S moreso if they discontinue it for a new 5C which may be called the 5CS.

19. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

As said above, no one knows if the 6 will be better than the 5S. No one even knows with certainty if the next the phone will be an "iPhone 6". It's overwhelming likely it will. But it's not certain.

That being said, of course it will be 'better' in the sense it has newer technology and parts in it. No know knows how much 'better' it will be and it's personal preference.

20. VulcanHybrid macrumors newbie

You'll know when the iPhone 6 is closer to release date because the current apple phones will drop drastically price. They already started doing that

21. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

You've waited this long so you might as well wait another couple of months.

22. HarryWild, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

According to some Apple insiders on twitter comments; the iPhone 6 is going be historic. I think the iPhone 6 will get a lot of sales because it better and bigger then the 5S. The 5S and 5C are the smallest smartphones size currently in the marketplace. Nokia Lumia has the 520 and 521 and 530 that is also 4"! But the rest of the marketplace; is it all bigger size in the U.S. Third world countries still have the 3.5" feature phones.

----------

I going to pick up a couple of greens and yellows 5C new 32GB if it goes down to $300 range like $330! I can give them away for presents and have a yellow to myself. All 4 for $1,200 is not bad!

But I going to buy an iPhone 6 for sure!

23. dragon671556 macrumors member

dragon671556

I'm sort of in the same boat except that I plan on switching from ATT to Verizon. The catch is that the closest Verizon store-authorized dealer actually is about an hour away. That's the only reason I'm thinking about getting a 5S instead of the 6.

24. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Think of it as the 4s to the 5. Not a huge difference. Bigger screen, better camera, 2x faster....

What matters is real world use. The 4s and 5 (apart from the 5 having LTE) both preformed about the same. Did the 5 have a slight edge? Yup. But it's not night and day. I, personally, love my 5s and I don't see any reason to go to the 6 :)

25. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

The 4S is a capable phone, just upgrade when the 6 comes out.