Upgrading to iMac 5k - a few questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by creativedogmedia, Apr 30, 2015.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

This will be our primary family computer (and the last PC to be replaced in the house)....Can I only purchase with 8gb of RAM and then buy aftermarket through crucial.com to get it to 32GB? downsides to that?

Setting up this iMac for my wife, myself and two daughters....3 different accounts, no imessage intergration on either one....how about music and iTunes? I have a HD of music downloaded and (in some cases) purchased by me....will that share across both accounts in iTunes. Any other suggestions for the new setup?

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Yes, and really no downside.

iTunes doesn't want to have a shared library (the list of tunes) among users. I've tried that. But you can have each user's library access the tunes on an external drive. Just make sure that Preferences->Advanced->"Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" is not checked. Any added music will have to be manually added to each account.

3. loekf, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015

loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

Depending on your preference, there are also "qualified for iMac" SO-DIMM kits from Corsair:

http://www.corsair.com/en/memory/mac-memory?memorytype=DDR3L|

I hope to test these soon, when my iMac arrives next week. Both Crucial and Corsair are selling SO-DIMM, 1600 MHz, DDR3L, PC12800, 1.35V, CL=11 parts. Only difference is that Crucial (= Micron) is selling these directly with free shipping (UPS). Corsair goes via retailers.

4. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Cool...thanks.

----------

Perfect...appreciate it.

5. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

From a user experience how will multiple Apple ID's work across one iMac? The reason I ask is because I use a MBP for personal and business and it's not shared with anyone. Because of that, I have all of my i features synced and turned on across iphone/ipad/mbp...i dont want that to be the case with our family iMac but do need the benefits of iCloud, etc..what would you guys recommend?

6. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I'd recommend a cheaper kit from Newegg, like two of these 16GB G.Skill kits. $190 for 32GB and rock-solid reliability/compatibility.

7. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Another question I have is around back ups....the only other computer in our house is my work laptop..I have 2 hdd's attached to it...crashplan for cloud back up of everything and time machine to one and all of my media to the other....

once i get the iMac, I will want to have backup of the 1tb of data that's on that machine....just grab another external drive or go time capsule?

8. andy9l macrumors 68000

FWIW, I went with a Time Capsule about a year ago. It changed my benchmark of what I now expect from a wireless router.

I never have to restart it. It's always fast, it always works, it always allows iTunes and other Apple software to see other Apple devices on the network. It's one of those products that really does "just work". For backups and wireless, it's great.

I even have a 1TB HDD attached to it via USB that I use as a basic form of NAS for movies etc., to avoid duplication.

One minor problem; it's old. Like, really old. Still, if you need it now - no time like the present. Who knows how long you might wait for a new one.

9. fathergll macrumors 6502a

The only downside would be that 32 GB is complete overkill for majority of users. I have 24 GB and i've barely used half of that in the 5 months of owning the computer. Usually the best bet is to order a 16 GB and install it alongside the 8 GB that comes with your iMac. But if you need 32 GB or feel more comfortable with that then by all means go for it.

10. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Probably but I personally will be running Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, Final Cut Pro for 4k video and a few other things....can't hurt, right?

11. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Can you use it like a traditional backup where I can easily access files from another computer without going through a Time Machine restore?

12. andy9l macrumors 68000

Yes, you can, but that's not what it's designed for so I'm sure there will be limitations. Ultimately, though you just mount any backup you want through Finder and you can browse backups manually.

Probably best to navigate using the Time Machine app on the respective Mac though, then transfer it to another Mac once restored.

13. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

What about range? I have a Verizon FiOS router in one corner of my house and an Actiontec Range Extender on second floor....Does this also improve range? Would love to get rid of that thing.

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The Apple IDs are associated with the user accounts on the iMac. It will be just like having multiple private systems. Exception being applications can be installed by anyone with "administrator" privileges and will use their Apple ID although the apps will be accessible by anyone.

15. MrLeek macrumors newbie

Another vouch for the Time Capsule. I needed a new router at the same time as buying my first Mac, the reviews were very good and the extra backup option made it worth buying.

Excellent performance. I've not had to restart it once since it was turned on (3 months ago), runs quick and is easy to configure. I've yet to hook up a usb drive to it but that will be a 5 minute job at most.

16. fathergll macrumors 6502a

Nope. Can't hurt. Just a little more money out of your pocket.

17. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

If it'll be a family computer then I think the higher RAM will be justified. The "fast user switching" option is really nice, as it leaves a user's account up and all programs remain loaded so that a user can easily go back into their account and immediately pick up from where they left off. The downside is that more RAM is used.

Granted, this is a luxury, and one that doesn't necessarily require that much RAM. "Fast user switching" could be disabled, or the family could set a rule that members be good about shutting down programs that are non-essential or not in use. Unless you want to make a lesson out of it, more RAM has the potential to make for a smoother experience for everyone, potentially averting conflicts.