Upgrading to iOS 11 on iPhone 6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Nilla Wafer, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Nilla Wafer macrumors member

Nilla Wafer

I will be ordering the iPhone X next month, but would love to upgrade to iOS 11. Any downside in doing so on my 6 Plus?

2. azpekt macrumors regular

nope, did that already. works as slow, as on ios 10 :)

3. exexs macrumors member

6 Plus here and it's alright yes. I didn't notice any difference to be honest. Nor bad or good. Just about 2GB of storage more on the phone tho!

4. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

It slows down my iPod a bit which also has the A8 chip.

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

6. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

I have 6 plus...hopefully it's positive experience.

7. TomH TX macrumors regular

I have been running ios11 on a 6plus since beta 1. No problem.

8. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

Just got home 20 min ago., this is the thread I want to see...looking for any possible issues with our 6 Plus. I backed up the phone, even downloaded the 10.3.3 ipsw file just in case. I'll give the update a shot.

I was watching this (32 min video) and wow...TON of stuff I didn't know about.
    I know we're on an older device, many of these we can't have.

9. serpico007 macrumors member

serpico007

My co-workers just did it without a backup and all good. Risk takers, these guys eh?

10. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Updated the iphone 6s+ and ipad 2017. Both running great, seem a tad snappier responce.

11. TITNTUFF macrumors regular

TITNTUFF

My 6 plus does have an occasional stutter. But, my apps seem to load faster, and the phone seems faster overall. I performed an over the air update and didn't loose anything, just have to log in. The additional control center improvements and overall speed have impressed me.

12. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

I have a similar experience, didn't realise the iOS had to cache things, so my first few interactions were very slow, I was worried I made a big mistake upgrading!

After an afternoon of use, i'm very happy, everything seems a little snappier, the animations closing and opening screens seem smoother and i'm overall very happy so far.

13. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Replying after my first post, battery is worse i think on iOS11, i'm down to 58% at 10:45am after a full night charge, I woke up at 6am and fairly moderate use [WAZE to work 30min drive, Apple music in the car while driving, Reddit while watching a coffee (watched the new punisher trailer)].

I have a charger at work, which i normally use in the afternoon... it's a really hard one to guage

I wonder if it's because there's a lot turned on by default after the update?

14. Blindnet macrumors newbie

Blindnet

I just run the update yesterday on my 6 plus and: It's been soooo slow and sluggish and, the battery drains like crazy!!! literally, it went from 100 to 64% like in an hour of use with music and facebook... Is thera a way to go back to 10?

15. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Major plus is all of your typed info will stay in place, even after you switch between applications, reload the page, etc. Replying this in Safari, I can go to messages, and each individual contact will have drafts of what I've typed before; and I can come back to Safari, and finish replying this. If you're still on 6 Plus, you know page refresh and losing drafts was a pain in the behind.

Major downside is.. loading apps is slow.. animations are what it's always been.

16. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

That is about my sentiment with my 6.

17. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

18. skyyblue macrumors newbie

Tried iOS 11 GM on the 6+ it wasn’t too bad, didn’t feel any slower compared to 10.3.3.

19. TokMok3 macrumors 6502a

Same experience here, very very slow. I did a clean install by the way.

20. StuBFrost macrumors member

Hi, When you say you did a clean install, did you run it without running any apps to see if it slows down as apps are loaded ? Thanks.

21. TokMok3 macrumors 6502a

Yes, animations stutters when opening folders. Safari takes longer to open a websites. The news app takes for ever to load content. I'm planning to stay with this phone one more year until the next iPhone 10.

22. Metalboy446 macrumors newbie

Metalboy446

I had upgraded for a few days on my iPhone 6. Very slow performance, useless animations and horrible battery life. I switched back to 10.3.3 and my phone feels like brand new. Super snappy. I don't think I'll be going back to 11. The only thing is now it is bothering me to updat.