Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

comik777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
is there a way to even do this? up to now ive been fine running 6.1.2 but am recently running into some app compatibility issues. i need to get 7.x.x on my ipad but would like to keep a jailbreak. ive tried to manually update through itunes with the 7.0.6 ipsw but keep getting the 3194 error even after editing the host file. is there any workaround?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
is there a way to even do this? up to now ive been fine running 6.1.2 but am recently running into some app compatibility issues. i need to get 7.x.x on my ipad but would like to keep a jailbreak. ive tried to manually update through itunes with the 7.0.6 ipsw but keep getting the 3194 error even after editing the host file. is there any workaround?

Apple is only signing 7.1.1 now, so there's no way to install any other firmware version than that. You're out of luck, unfortunately.

comik777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
i was afraid of that. guess it'll have to wait till there's a jb release on 7.1.1

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I didn't want to start a new thread since I know it's been covered hundreds of times but I just purchased an iPad Mini Retina that is on 7.0.6 and I plan on jail breaking it. My question is what can I do to save the blobs or whatever they're called in case an OTA update comes through?

I want to make sure it stays on 7.0.6. I know how to avoid the updates via iTunes but you never know with OTA since it's a carrier iPad with an active SIM card in it.

Thanks for any information and sorry to sound like a noob with this but at least I'm saving the hassle of starting a new thread. ;)

Regards,
Adam

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I didn't want to start a new thread since I know it's been covered hundreds of times but I just purchased an iPad Mini Retina that is on 7.0.6 and I plan on jail breaking it. My question is what can I do to save the blobs or whatever they're called in case an OTA update comes through?

I want to make sure it stays on 7.0.6. I know how to avoid the updates via iTunes but you never know with OTA since it's a carrier iPad with an active SIM card in it.

Thanks for any information and sorry to sound like a noob with this but at least I'm saving the hassle of starting a new thread. ;)

Regards,
Adam

OTA updates are disabled by the jailbreak (I think something bad might happen if you manually go to the software update option but thats a different matter).

There is nothing you can do to make sure it stays on 7.0.6 other than not to update it. If you update it, there is no way back - blobs or no blobs there is no bootrom exploit so there is no way to bypass/fake the signing process.

But the good news is it won't update itself.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My question is what can I do to save the blobs or whatever they're called in case an OTA update comes through?
Blobs don't matter any more and have not mattered since iOS 5. There is a different reason for that with iOS 6, but the main reason it does not matter any more for iOS 7 is that beginning with iOS7, Apple no longer uses SHSH to authenticate firmware installs.

So, even if you had blobs for iOS 7 - it doesn't matter as they are no longer used.

Boogsephine

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
OTA updates are disabled by the jailbreak (I think something bad might happen if you manually go to the software update option but thats a different matter).

There is nothing you can do to make sure it stays on 7.0.6 other than not to update it. If you update it, there is no way back - blobs or no blobs there is no bootrom exploit so there is no way to bypass/fake the signing process.

But the good news is it won't update itself.

Thanks! I plan on doing the JB when I get home. I believe I had the 'UpdateBGone' on my iPhone so I'll search for that. I just wanted to be 100% sure. I didn't know if anything had changed since I'm still on iOS 6.1.2 on my phone.

Blobs don't matter any more and have not mattered since iOS 5. There is a different reason for that with iOS 6, but the main reason it does not matter any more for iOS 7 is that beginning with iOS7, Apple no longer uses SHSH to authenticate firmware installs.

So, even if you had blobs for iOS 7 - it doesn't matter as they are no longer used.

Cool. I appreciate the feedback from the both of you. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.