iPad mini Upgrading to iOS 7 from 6.1.2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NFreak007, Sep 17, 2013.

1. NFreak007 macrumors newbie

I have an iPad Mini that is currently running iOS 6.1.2 - I never updated it to 6.1.3 as none of the problems it fixed have affected me and having had updates go wrong on other devices before I've become a bit update-phobic, so I didn't want to do one unless I absolutely needed to.

I am, however, interested in updating to iOS 7. Could there be any possible issues with updating to iOS 7 from a non-latest version of iOS 6?

Also, I have this iPad set up as a standalone device, rather than being synced with iTunes. I am using iCloud backups, but my home internet speed isn't very quick and having to restore from an iCloud backup would take up the best part of a day for me. How likely is it that I'll have to restore if I install iOS 7, and is it more likely to happen since I'm upgrading from an older version of iOS 6? (For that matter, I've heard of people running into battery life issues and other problems with iOS 7 that have been solved by restoring. If these are widespread, is updating without restoring even a good idea?)

Sorry if these questions seem a little noobish. This is my first major iOS update since iOS 4 on my old iPod Touch, and my first ever where I haven't been able to just let iTunes handle it all!

Thanks in advance!

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I have an iPad 2 (originally came with iOS 5) and an iPodT5. Here's my method, which has never failed me when updating iOS (both are now on 6.1.3)

I first turn off my power savers on my computer and change the auto-lock on my device to "never" - and make sure the device has a full or nearly full charge.

I always choose the download (new iOS) option and update later.
    Plug the device directly into the computer.
    Transfer purchases to iTunes
    Sync to backup
    Install the iOS update

I stay by my computer and keep an eye on what's going on - but don't use my computer for anything else while the update is ongoing.

When the update is finished and everything seems to be working well, I'll go back to using iCloud updates. So far, so good.

Will follow the same routine after iOS 7 is released.