Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I've heard that if you're a current AT&T customer and don't have an iPhone, you're more than likely going to have to go to an AT&T store to upgrade..

But what if you're an AT&T customer with an iPhone, will you be able to go to an Apple store or AT&T store??

Is the Apple store only doing "NEW Customer" activations??

I called the local Apple store down here and they said they don't know what the procedure is going to be? This whole thing seems a bit disorganized for a Friday launch date...

PrinceOfEgypt

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2008
I've heard that if you're a current AT&T customer and don't have an iPhone, you're more than likely going to have to go to an AT&T store to upgrade..

But what if you're an AT&T customer with an iPhone, will you be able to go to an Apple store or AT&T store??

Is the Apple store only doing "NEW Customer" activations??

I called the local Apple store down here and they said they don't know what the procedure is going to be? This whole thing seems a bit disorganized for a Friday launch date...

the Apple site says that you can buy the iPhone at apple stores or AT&T stores. that's it, nothing more to it than that.. we don't need needless speculation :)

http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy/

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I'm unsure who will be able to do what at each store, but according to: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=MTE2NTQ
Where to buy:
iPhone is available in 8GB and 16GB1 models at Apple Retail Stores and AT&T Stores.

I understand that, but apparently some info was released at yesterdays meeting and then the following update that's on the front page..

Update: We've heard more tidbits about existing AT&T non-iPhone customers. It appears that unless Apple makes an official announcement otherwise, existing AT&T customers who do not currently own an iPhone should go an AT&T store (not an Apple Retail Store) to upgrade to the iPhone 3G

thevol

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2008
I don't think Apple will sell it for more than $199/299, which is what some people have been saying all along...however, it sounds like they just wont sell it at all to those who need a non-eligible upgrade ($399/499). For that you will need to goto an AT&T store. Its all just speculation right now but it kind of makes sense. They will just make AT&T look like the bad guy.

michaelmaxwell2

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
wow apple keeps us in the dark and also their employees, so why we do keep on asking questions that we all don't know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.