Upgrading to iPhone 4: how to transfer information?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrCheeto, Aug 7, 2010.

1. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

This one is for my mom. She's upgrading to the iPhone 4 in a week, from a 3Gs.

Personally, I manage contacts, pictures and music and other media from my Mac. She, however, doesn't understand the concept of device syncing.

How will she get ALL information onto the new iPhone? She constantly has images sent to her phone from other people, and the only way she knows to get a picture onto her phone is to email it to herself. How do we handle these pics to make sure they're all copied over?

Again, all of her contacts are managed on the PHONE, how will iTunes handle this when syncing the new phone?

Basically, because she doesn't use a computer to manage anything on her phone, what will she lose?

2. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

What? Just choose what you want to mange in iTunes

3. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

-.-' ok, currently NOTHING is managed by iTunes. So how would we get the pics that are saved to Camera Roll onto the new iPhone? As well the contacts and such are COMPLETELY managed on the phone.

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

5. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Sorry, my sarcasm manager blocked that post ^

6. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

You have to sync the phone to a computer (iTunes) in order for any of it to transfer. It's pretty self explanatory. Once you've synced the phone and you plug the new one in iTunes will ask how you want to set this new iPhone up. New or from an already backed up setup. Simple.

7. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Ok, currently everything is set to be managed manually. Will this, then, copy over all of the pics in the Camera Roll and such?

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

9. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

MOST EXCELLENT!! All has been made clear. Thank you.

I try and try to teach her, but noooooo, she always prefers the more complicated route. -.-'

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

You are the one being difficult

just do what everyone is telling you, find a computer, back up the phone and then when you get the iPhone 4 instead of setting it up as a new phone, choose "restore from backup"

word of caution

I would make sure to backup the phone AND sync afterward just to be extra sure.

11. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Being difficult? I just wanted to know if iTunes would back up media that isn't on her Mac.

Your sense of perception is flawed or lacking. XD

12. MrCheeto thread starter macrumors 68030

MrCheeto