Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
I made the same change two months ago. I left the unlimited data for now, but I'm actually not using much more than I did before--still under 200 MB. If this continues through the end of the year, I'll drop to the $15 plan.
Actually I double checked my account and it looks like I'm at around 125-130 MB per month, most months, hitting 325 MB only once in the past few months. But I'll also still keep the unlimited plan while I can, then see how it goes.

But I did opt to go with the 32 GB model. I don't use mine for viewing video at all, only have about 10 GB of music on it, so you'd think that the 16 GB would've been fine. But the camera is OUTSTANDING, and I wanted the extra room for both taking and editing images.
The better camera and video is one of the reasons why I want the iPhone 4 over the new Samsung Captivate. And just to clarify, it's shooting video that I'm interested in, not necessarily viewing downloaded video like someone else mentioned. I hate having to carry around a separate camera to get quick/candid video shots, so I'm looking forward to getting lots of video of my 7 yr old (and growing) son -- and lots of video shooting needs lots of hard drive space!

Enjoy! The difference between your old phone and your new one is incredible in so many ways.
Thanks -- can't wait to find out for myself! :)

duction

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
U to the K
Im in the uk and I'm on o2 and I have unlimited 3G and wifi and unlimited texts and 300 mins. I wouldn't EVER drop my unlimited data as they have stopped doing if for what I'm paying (20 a month)

kheller19

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2010
Don't change plans

Originally Posted by Sounds Good View Post

Hey guys, I'm finally going to upgrade my old original 2G iPhone.

AT&T says that since I'm grandfathered, I can have an unlimited data plan for $30/month --or-- I can get the regular iPhone 4 data plans at $25 for 2 GB or $15 for 200 MB.

Currently I'm only using around 200-325MB per month, but...

Should I go with unlimited, just in case? Is there any reason to keep myself "grandfathered", or should I just let it go?
Thanks!

No. Don't. It will cost you more. I dropped mine Friday, went to ATT for another phone issue - I happened to tell the rep about mt IPHONE4, she asked me if I wanted to stop service til Saturday - I said no way. Pretend you didn't hear me. Stay on the Plan, with or without

citizenal

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2010
I would, atleast for the first 3 months, what if you get the 15 dollar one or 25 dollar one and want to use more data, you can't then. You can always change to the lower tier data plans later. Can't hurt right?

quadchick10

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
Definately keep the unlimited data plan. You never know what type of awesome apps that will be released. It is just best to keep paying the $30.00 a month and not have to worry about data being transferred in the middle of the night....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.