Upgrading to Iphone 4, What about my apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Sunday Shadows, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Sunday Shadows macrumors regular

do i have to repurchase my apps again for the new phone? or is there a way to 'transfer' them?

2. Spiffy9 macrumors newbie

All of your purchased applications, music, tv shows, etc. are connected to your iTunes account so you will be able to reinstall/download them once you get your new phone

3. homrb macrumors regular

but just remember to back up/sync your information first

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

but if you do a restore it may cause problems. I did a restore from my 3g to 3gs and the battery sucked. I did a clean install and it all worked better. so how to get your app data on a new phone without restoring all the settings and such?

5. extrachrispy macrumors regular

extrachrispy

Upgrading to iPhone 4, Want to Avoid 3G->3GS Problems Like People Had Last Year

What he said. Last summer, there were multiple reports of people having very poor battery life when they restored an iPhone or iPhone 3G backup to their spiffy new 3GS, but those of us who got spiffy new 3GSen without ever having a previous iPhone had no problems.

6. Jowl macrumors 6502

Surely not a problem now that you can just choose to 'sync Apps'

No need for full restore from backup

7. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I think will put back the app on the phone but that you loose savegames and other app data .. Am I right ?

8. Xenius macrumors newbie

Has anyone heard if a 3G backup restored to a new iPhone4 (when I get it, obviously) will work? I understand music and such syncing, but I'd like to keep my camera roll and SMS/MMS as well as app data.

Basically I'd like to use the process outlined here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2109

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, you can restore from a backup of the 3G to the 4.

@BadaBing!!: If you only sync the apps, you won’t have the game saves or app data. The only way to get these is from the backup.

10. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

I know... To me, that is the big problem :(

11. dojoman macrumors 65816

Apple should come up with a new way to restore database individually on Apps basis. This is ridiculous with the generic restore. That's why I hate this process every time phone is upgraded.