Upgrading to Iphone 4.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Turian.Spectre, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Turian.Spectre macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

I own an iphone 3gs. My contract only has a little less than a year right now. I want to get the iphone 4 and give my 3gs to a family member. I am planning to move to Europe at the end of this month and just switch out the sim card when i get there. (Russia to be precise). As far as i know when you terminate a contract and pay the fee, you keep the phone, correct? Do they give you the unlock code so I can use it in europe?
    Would I be able to switch to an iphone 4 by extending my contract another 2 years, and at the end of the month cancel it like i was planning to anyway?
    just trying to find the cheapest way to get the new phone and be able to also use my old one.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

AT&T generally does not unlock iPhones for any reason. You'd be better off purchasing an iPhone in Europe from a country that sells them unlocked.

3. zephxiii macrumors 6502

ATT doesn't unlock any iphone, ever. So i would buy an officially unlocked iphone from somewhere else if you want to use a phone in both places. Or wait to get one once you are there.

4. Turian.Spectre thread starter macrumors regular

Turian.Spectre

wow that sucks. they've unlocked all our other phones before... So does that mean i wont be able to use even my 3gs in europe? Thats BS bc I'm not even coming back to the US.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they unlock every other cellphone but the iphone.
    And with a US iphone you'd be out of luck cause it wont recognize any other sim but AT&T's.
    You can JB and unlock it but thats a whole other ballgame where firmware version and other variables come into play.

6. josielinnea macrumors regular

josielinnea

Where are you moving? There's lots of countries in Europe that sells unlocked iphones officially. From Apple.
    The UK is one of them, just as an example.
    If you sell your 3Gs instead of just giving it away, you'll at least have some money towards your new unlocked phone.

7. Ping Guo macrumors 6502

Ping Guo