Carrier Upgrading to iPhone X with Free iPhone 7 Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lhs2011, Oct 9, 2017.

1. lhs2011 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I traded in my iPhone 6 to AT&T last year for their "free" iPhone 7 program. I know if I upgrade my phone through AT&T Next I will loose those monthly credits (trying for that not to happen). I am giving my fiance my iPhone 7 and upgrading to the the iPhone X.

If I use the iPhone Upgrade Plan, will this set off a red flag on AT&T's servers when I have to verify I am a customer at checkout? Or will my monthly credits be safe as long as I finance through Apple and not AT&T.
    TIA!

2. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68030

MuGeN PoWeR

you will be fine as long as you keep on paying AT&T and keep your line active. Financing thru Apple has nothing to do with the carriers. Apple just asks for the carrier so that it can activate the phone and give it to you. it has nothing to do with your upgrade elgibility thru the carrier!

3. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

I don’t know, I would either call or chat AT&T and ask only because I have the same thing going through Verizon with my iPhone 7 and the only way I could use the 8 at the same time was to buy it outright. Any other way would’ve “upgraded” my line and removed the credits.

4. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68030

MuGeN PoWeR

again since you are doing iPhone Upgrade Program they dont care whats your current upgrade scenario is with the carrier. If you are approved for IUP then they will just ask for carrier details so that you can activate the phone. that is it your credits will not be affected!

5. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

True.. but when i went on apple.com to buy the Verizon version of the iPhone 8 outright, and I entered in my Verizon info so they can activate my phone, it told me that I had to pay off the remaining balance on my phone now to be able to do anything and this was just to simply buy the phone outright (the Verizon model, not SIM Free) so I imagine this process will be similar if they are asking for carrier details.

6. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68030

MuGeN PoWeR

You are not doing Iphone upgrade program. You are doing carrier upgrade. You have to checkout using iPhone upgrade program.

7. a_v_k macrumors newbie

I am in the same situation and would like to keep paying AT&T so that I don’t loose my credits.

Instead of Apple’s iPhone upgrade program, Can I instead Pay in full ?

Also, on the carrier screen, should I pick “Replace this phone on my AT&T account.” or “Buy a new iPhone on an existing wireless account.” ?

8. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

Neither, because Verizon had those same options and it’ll remove your credits either way. What you’ll do is either go to the store and buy outright or buy the SIM free version from Apple.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    I know. But like I said, when you enter your carrier details on the apple website, which you have to with the iPhone Upgrade program, it’s going to come back and say that you have a certain amount left on your payments and your only option is to pay it off or trade it in.

9. lhs2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the response! This is what I was thinking would happen. Apple just wants to confirm one phone per line so scalpers don't buy 100 phones all at once.

ApplePersonFreak, I am not sure what happened on Verizons end. I am hoping AT&T will not have the same results.

10. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

Me too. Did you try to chat with them and see if that was something that could be done?

11. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68030

MuGeN PoWeR

131CC3F8-45E3-4829-A93C-B18B4B706558.jpeg EAB79FE0-DFB6-4786-A4FC-5378E5ED91E2.jpeg

Attaching the screenshots. Apple dont care if you are on contract with carrier. they just want to see you have a valid account!

12. lhs2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, nothing is worse than trying to get something useful out of AT&T’s customer service lol. Only thing saving them is there coverage.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    You’re the real MVP. Glad to know it works with AT&T!

13. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68030

MuGeN PoWeR

yeah i am sure it works with Verizon as well. I am glad i was able to help you out!

14. aloecool macrumors 6502

Doing the same thing and would like to know as well. I plan on just paying in full and give my current 7 to another line under my family plan, but am not sure about the replace vs buy a new iphone option. Anyone?

15. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

You aren’t going to do it that way, it’ll mess with your credits. The only option is.. either go to the VZW store and buy it outright, or buy the SIM free version from Apple.

16. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Stop spreading false information. It will not mess with the credits. The IUP is completely independent of the carrier. They only ask for carrier information to make sure you are not buying the device to resell it. It’s a way to limit people stocking up on devices to flip.

Contacting the carrier is the worst thing you could do. Now you are tipping them off.

17. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

I’m not spreading false information, just based on trial and error on my end on trying to keep them. I might’ve misread what the post said and didn’t realize they were also trying to do IUP but the fact that if you were to click “replace” or “buy a new phone” it’d mess with it that way if you were doing it directly to the carrier. I apologize.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

But you have been spreading false information this entire thread. Using the IUP will not affect carrier financing/credits. They are 100% independent. They don’t even charge carrier upgrade fees via IUP because you are essentially buying the device outright but paying Citizen One monthly. Hence the reason why the device is unlocked. It merely comes with the carrier SIM for the reason I already outlined above.

So no. You don’t need to buy a SIm free or outright from Verizon to save your credits. A simple IUP will work.

19. MuGeN PoWeR macrumors 68030

MuGeN PoWeR

My screenshots clearly shows that IUP do not mess the credits.