Upgrading to Iphone4 on someone elses line? Is it safe? Help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by furam90, Jun 15, 2010.

1. furam90 macrumors regular

Hey, under my line I'm currently not eligible to upgrade to an iphone 4; however, my mom is eligible on hers.

I was going to use her upgrade and simply put my SIM into the new iphone, while she kept her old phone. Problem is she doesn't have and or want a data plan, so I can't simply give her my old 3GS.

But in order to order the iphone 4 I need to also buy a data plan. Will ATT let me cancel the data plan after I get the phone?

I'm not really sure how the whole thing works, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Way too many threads on this.

3. UPGRADE SWAP - Can I use someone else's upgrade? Yes, this is called an "upgrade swap". If you perform this in an AT&T store, they will handle it all for you. Apple should be able to as well, but they will need to contact AT&T during the process.

If you prefer to order online, place your order for the phone using the line(s) that has an available upgrade. If this line currently has no data plan, you may need to add a data plan (just choose the cheapest as you will be removing it later.) Once the phone(s) arrive contact AT&T to let them know that you will be activating the phone(s) on another line (performing an "upgrade swap"). (If you had to add a data plan, have them remove it at this time as well.) Once AT&T has reassociated the SIM with the correct line, connect the phone to iTunes to complete the activation. DONE!

This process does not affect your unlimited data plan.