Upgrading to iPhone4, Sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MBX, Jun 8, 2010.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hey
    I will get the new iP4, but is the sim card same as the slot of the new phone? I heard some talk about MicroSim and i'm not sure if the 3GS uses the same.

Also i bought my 3GS in Summer 2009 with an ATT plan and it's a 2 year contract. I don't think i'm eligible for a upgrade without more up-pay, right?

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

You'd have to check w/ AT&T to see if you're eligible. Call *639# and you'll receive a message saying when you're eligible for lower pricing.

The new iPhone will use the micro SIM, it'll be possible to cut your current SIM down to the right size (people have done it for the iPad 3G and it worked), but you may just want to get one from AT&T, up to you. 3GS uses the regular SIM

3. dfeigenbaum1 macrumors member

upgrade

want to upgrade using my wife upgrade, order using here #, then how do I make the switch to my #????

4. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

It might be alittle harder if she doesn't have an iPhone. Your best bet would be to call up AT&T and ask directly.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Please refer to the upgrade guide in my sig.

The phone comes with a micro sim. Activate the sim on the line of your choosing using iTunes. VERY simple.

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

There is nothing on that upgrade like regarding full price iphone4's and activation. There should be.

7. Resist macrumors 68030

The new iPhone uses a micro sim card, which is smaller than the sim card in your current iPhone.

8. MarkD24 macrumors newbie

Clarification of SIM card issues on upgrade

Would like to get clarification regarding the SIM card issue and the upgrade process. Upgrading from the 3GS to the iPhone4, and have seen conflicting information on what's involved in the process. I plan to pre-order and have home delivery and will do the activation thru iTunes. My question is do I need to transfer my current SIM card (info regarding trimming to fit, etc is circulating) or can I simply activate using the existing micro SIM in the new phone? Will this enable me to keep my existing number and plan data?

Sorry if these are basic questions, but as I said, this is my first upgrade and I've seen much conflicting suggestions.

Thanks!
    Mark

9. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

Yes.

10. MarkD24 macrumors newbie

spyda,
    Thanks very much for the quick response!

Mark

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

New SIM arrives blank. It needs to be activated to associate it with a line. Just activate it on your line using iTunes.