Upgrading to iPhoto 08 was the WORST decision ever.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikelong622, Aug 30, 2007.

1. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

Ok, so I like the idea of events, and I REALLY like the way they look in iPhoto, problem is, in the previous version of iPhoto, I had all my photos sorted into Albums based on the event. My pictures are all from various cameras, some mine, some belonging to friends, so the dates on a lot of my pictures are VERY random. This makes organizing my events extremely difficult. Not to mention, iPhoto decided to throw in a bunch of random pictures into events here and there. Isn't there a way to just take all my Albums, and turn them into Events? Or is there a way to display my Albums like events, because if there isn't...then spending the money to upgrade really wasn't worth it.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

I think you have the idea of events a little confused. Its basically a new way of looking at the old ' rolls'. The difference is that rents are sorted by date taken. At least that's how I understand it to work.

3. CalmCruiser macrumors newbie

CalmCruiser

I upgraded right away and I now.....

.... feel it's not an upgrade but a downgrade. I already downloaded iMovie '06 because of the timeline problems. Today I found a new thing I don't like. It is the printing capabilities of iPhoto '08. They are really crap. I often used the "N-up" posibility of '06 which allowed me to print multiple photo's on one piece of photopaper. I can't find it anymore. Also you can not confige the page setup under the file menu. Big big bummer

After I reinstall my MacBook Pro in October with Leopard I reinstall iLife '06 on it. :rolleyes:

4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

The events feature destroyed my iPhoto library. Now, half of my photo show up as gray exclamation points. I love the new features, but now I have to manually restore my library to its original condition.

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I love it - a lot better than the previous version. Still not perfect, but a fantastic product never the less.

6. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

to the OP—it sounds like your trouble stems mostly from the conversion. From what I've seen, iPhoto '08 turns your rolls into events. Is that the case?

If and when you take the time to reorganize your previous library, adding new pictures should be relatively painless. Just import the pics, split and combine events as you need to.

I think iPhoto '08 requires a new way of thinking about your organization. Before, rolls could be haphazard, and you could make albums that were to your liking. Now it makes sense to take more care in organizing the events, especially given how wonderful they look.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Bummer, its great for me.

I'm sure it will be too, when you solve your problem

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

how do you find the performance of it?? i only have about 300 photos and on my mbp its quite sluggish.

9. Schoone macrumors newbie

I had the same problem. I updated and my events were all over the place with random pictures in them. Also I got a lot of grey exclamation mark pictures and I cannot find them anywhere on the computer.....but now that I have organized everything, which took a while, I like it. I just which I had the option to go back to the original view of all the pictures. I have a 24" monitor so it was nice, but I like the new iPhoto well enough.

10. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

select "Photos" in the source list on the left.

11. Schoone macrumors newbie

I was on "photos" but it was still arranged in events, but I just found that in view you can deselect "event titles" making it like the old iphoto layout. So complaint solved.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I barely use Events. Even after going through and reorganizing. My Albums are still there as is though.

13. acrafton macrumors 6502

I have approx 11,000 photos on a MBP and it flies. No issues with speed at all and I usually have Parallels running at the same time. . .

Must be a problem with your machine. . .or installation.

Adam

14. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I've only got 609 photos - how many photos do I need before my MBP flies?

15. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    ya

when I first updated, it F'd everything up, and i had to spend about 2 hours organizing the events. But now it's really sweet. just takes some time and effort.

at least you don't have MY problem......that no one seems to be able to help with...

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm ok interesting. must just be my computer for some reason. it doesnt matter tho i can put up with it :)